Solar Eclipse Friday March 20th - View it safely!
The Total Solar Eclipse on the morning of Friday March 20th will not have Ireland covered in total shadow: the path of totality is closer to the Faroe Islands. However, Ireland will get 90-91% of the solar disc blocked out by the Moon, maximum darkness appearing at 09:26hrs Irish Time. Even so, there will be diminished heat and light, and the subject matter will still warrant safe observing! This is a great outreach and observing opportunity, so make the most of it! To help, here is our guide to Observing the Sun Safely >
Ireland's Largest Astronomy Community
Link with Astronomers from Ireland and around the world!
Welcome to the Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies (IFAS), an umbrella group of Astronomical Clubs & Societies throughout Ireland represented and helped here. Through this website, you can avail of:
- Chat Forums for getting/offering tips, tricks and sharing news and events.
- Club and Society nationwide events, posted in one easy-to-find website.
- Upcoming astronomical highlights and events.
- Buy & Sell for private individuals.
- Monthly Sponsored Astrophotography Competitions for great prizes.
- Useful guides, downloads and more.
Join over 2,200 registered like-minded Amateur Astronomers from Ireland and around the world! Joining only takes a minute and it's FREE. You can view topics without registering, but you won't be able to post content unless you are registered.
Download the IFAS 2015 Calendar
Our first ever calendar shifted many of copies since it went on sale back in November. Now (minus the 12 monthly winning photos), you can download it from the forums here >
It is only because of the trojen work of the team behind the compilation and selling of the calendar that IFAS has been able to purchase IFAS Eclipse Shades in time for the March 20th eclipse! So, Thank You to everyone who helped IFAS in making this milestone possible!
Remember, IFAS is the LARGEST astronomy portal in Ireland with thousands of partcipants and made possible with the work of the volunteers behind it.
- Midlands AC: Next Lecture Tue Mar 3rd: Telescope Night
- Just to re-iterate that attendees are most welcome to bring their own telescope and binoculars too....
- In Announcements & Beginners Section / Announcements, Events & Clubs News
- Comment on releasing the 2015 IFAS calendar as a free pdf
- Hi all, I had started a thread inviting comments on releasing the IFAS calendar as a free pdf on...
- In Speciality Forums / Stellar Media