• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 4 months ago #102413 by johnflannery
IFAS calendar sample was created by johnflannery
Hi all,

I've a sample of the 2015 calendar posted to the link below. It shows two months worth of notes along with their corresponding images taken by Keith Geary and Seanie Morris.

We'll have the full IFAS calendar available real soon for you to purchase.

2015 has a pretty wide range of astronomical phenomena to capture the attention of even the most casual sky-watcher. Highlights visible from Ireland and the UK include a total lunar eclipse on September 28th, a deep partial solar eclipse on March 20th, plenty of opportunities to see the Moon cosy up to a planet or two, a number of occultations of the Hyades during the year, and much more.

See dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25805353/Doc...5CalendarPreview.pdf

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, johnomahony, Kinch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #102414 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic IFAS calendar sample
The calendar looks good, even from the sample of just two months, will definitely be picking up one, any idea of the price yet?

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

More
9 years 4 months ago #102421 by Kinch
Replied by Kinch on topic IFAS calendar sample
It really looks great - I love the format with all the info. Something like this can really stir up some interest in simple observations.....which of course leads to taking even more interest in the night sky. Let's hope it goes from strength to strength.

More
9 years 4 months ago #102423 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic IFAS calendar sample
Lovely job, what I really like is all the astronomical events perfectly readable from week to week.

Superb effort!

Keith.

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 4 months ago #102426 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic IFAS calendar sample
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'd like to myself thank all those who submitted images for the calendar ... the photos really show astronomy is a hugely popular hobby at both home and abroad.

Public interest in science has never been greater, with many clubs seeing lots of people attending outreach events. I joined some of the MAC members last Saturday in Boora, Co Offaly for a Science Week observing evening. The Centre manager there said requests to attend were double their capacity.

Deirdre Kelleghan gave a wonderfully inspiring talk on the Rosetta mission at Dunsink last Wednesday night. The plucky little Philae lander had millions rooting for its successful landing.

Hopefully the calendar will inspire too as Brendan said. It took a while collate the data from software and other sources, but it has been very fulfilling.

Software
Multi-Year Interactive Computer Almanac (MICA) published by Willmann-Bell, Inc
Sky Map Pro v6 by Chris Marriott

Books
Various observing handbooks, Jean Meeus' Mathematical Astronomy Morsels (vols 1 to 4)

Web sites
A number of those listed at www.esero.ie/useful-links/
Fred Espenak's www.astropixels.net
www.calsky.com
www.asteroidoccultation.com/observations/
www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jds/ (comets)
www.nakedeyeplanets.com
... and a lot more :)

John

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds