K-Tec

A HUGE Success: Ireland's Partial Solar Eclipse & IFAS

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 5 days ago - 9 years 5 days ago #103588 by Seanie_Morris
Now that the dust has settled (and I was able to peel myself away from everything astronomical for the weekend!), it is nice to reflect on what happened here in Ireland on Friday March 20th.

First of all, Well Done to all IFAS member clubs for their outreach efforts and teamwork - you really made a significant contribution to popularising astronomy in our tiny country and help cement it on the world's astronomical map. Without the concerted efforts between us all, the promotion of IFAS, it's member clubs could not have been better. Looking at so many Facebook posts alone on individuals and club pages, there was a huge impact made, and you should be proud.

The IFAS Eclipse Shades were a huge success. 1,500+ shades went out across Ireland. They even made an appearance on the national news on RTE on Friday! The SAE distribution saw 200 shades go out across the country after the initial 1,300 went to the 13 member clubs (and after they each paid their memberships up to date).

Even on the morning of the eclipse, I was receiving texts and phone calls asking for shades, but sadly had to refuse - because there were none left!

IFAS reached the attention of the Irish Times, the Irish Independent, RTE, Irish TV, the Irish Daily Mail, the Irish Daily Mirror, as well as 2fm, iRadio, Midlands 103, East Coast FM, Galway Bay FM, Cork 98, Newstalk, and more

Looking at the various events around Ireland, hosted by IFAS clubs and individuals, I am estimating that in excess of 8,500-9,000 people were DIRECTLY affected positively by attending events throughout. As a co-ordinated, single event, this is huge, and for that, I say Congratulations, and good work!!

Seanie Morris,
IFAS Chairperson.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 9 years 5 days ago by Seanie_Morris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis, nectarine, michael_murphy, johnomahony, Roy Stewart, scfahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 days ago #103591 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Partial Solar Eclipse Ireland a HUGE success!
Well said.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: scfahy

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 4 days ago #103607 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic A HUGE Success: Ireland's Partial Solar Eclipse & IFAS
Thanks Paul.

I'd love to hear/see people's stories from the day itself. If you'd like to share yours here, please do so!

:)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
9 years 1 day ago #103622 by Paddy Stack
Hi Seanie,

KAC gathered in the Tralee town park from 8:30am onwards that morning. Radio Kerry came out and did a live interview at 8:30 and again at 9:25 to see how things were going. A number of school groups came out to join us and we had about 30 people at one stage. However the weather was terrible. Completely overcast and to add injury to insult it drizzled heavy on us. The one interesting thing is that the overcast conditions accentuated how cold and dark it got. The street lights came back on and my fingers went numb with the cold during maximum coverage. All in all it was a good experience.

The attached photo appeared in the Kerryman newspaper yesterday. They got the names all mixed up but thats OK.

Paddy.

Paddy.
kerryastronomyclub.com
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris, michael_murphy

More
9 years 1 day ago #103628 by Paul Evans
Video and writeup of my event in Larne here..... note they describe me as a member of IFAS :)

www.larnetimes.co.uk/news/local-news/vid...ar-eclipse-1-6645408
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris, Paddy Stack, michael_murphy

More
9 years 1 day ago #103629 by flt158
10 / 10 video, Paul. Even the Dog was celebrating !!

Aubrey.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds