K-Tec

New Observatory Code Award for Ireland

• Mike
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
8 years 4 months ago #105107 by Mike
I am delighted and honoured to announce to the astronomy community in Ireland that our very own Mr. Kevin Smith has been awarded an observatory code from The Minor Planet Centre. As many of you know, Kevin has been instrumental in setting up Meath Astronomy Club, co-organising SolarFest and regular attendee and supporter of Irish astronomy festivals. Kevin is a tireless worker in promoting astronomy to the public, in particular to the young people and can be seen regularly at Killbeggan lakes were he and other amateur astronomers from near and far set-up their telescopes for public viewing.
I would like to take this opportunity in wishing Kevin the very best for his award and continuing service to Irish astronomy which he takes on with great enjoyment and to wish Dunboyne Castle Observatory (Z67) continued success into the future. This of course follows hot on the heels of another observatory code award to Mr. Pat Grandfield from the Kerry Astronomy Club (Z56). Looks like the Irish amateur astronomy community is very much alive, strong and progressing very well in many areas. Well done Kevin.

Mike.

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery, Paddy Stack, dmcdona, michael_murphy, lunartic_old, johnomahony, Graham, Bruno, Fermidox, yohan and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #105108 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic New Observatory Code Award for Ireland
Congratulations Kevin! Well done on all the hard work and planning coming to fruition in achieving the Observatory Code and flying the flag for astronomy here.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinSmith

More
8 years 4 months ago #105111 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic New Observatory Code Award for Ireland
Well done Kevin.
Eamonn
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinSmith

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #105113 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic New Observatory Code Award for Ireland
Kevin - many congratulations on this achievement. Your endeavours have paid off and I have to say, that's a mighty impressive observatory name :) Well done indeed! You've brought the count up to an impressive 15!

I've taken the liberty of updating the observatory list though I'm not sure when the IAU conferred the honour on you - if you let me know, I can update the list.

Dave

The updated (but possibly not comprehensive) list is as follows:

IAU Observatories
pre-2006 981 Armagh (Armagh)
pre-2006 982 Dunsink (Dublin)
pre-2006 977 Markree (Sligo)
March 2006 – J65 (Celbridge, Kildare): Dave McDonald
May 2006 – J62 (Kingsland, Roscommon): Eamonn Ansbro
June 2006 – J61 (Brownstown, Meath): Kevin Sweeney
September 2007 – J41 (Raheny, Dublin): Dave Grennan
January 2009 – J16 (An Carraig, Down): Kieran Rooney
May 2009 – J09 (Balbriggan, Dublin): Carl O'Beirnes
October 2010 – I90 (Blackrock Castle, Cork): Dr. Niall Smyth
October 2010 – I87 (Astroshot, Kildare): Michael O'Connell
February 2011 – I83 (Cherryvalley, Meath): Mike Foylan
September 2013 - Z72: Cademuir Observatory, Dalkey: Albert White
May 2015 - Z56 (Knocknaboola, Killorglin, Kerry): Pat Grandfield
<insert date> - Z67 (Dunboyne Castle Observatory, Meath): Kevin Smith

Other Observatories (non IAU)
Birr (Offaly)
Sherrington (Bray, Co. Wicklow)
Daramona (Streete, Co. Westmeath)
Crawford (Cork - UCC)
Imbusch (Galway - NUIG)
Monck (Dublin - TCD)
Science Building (Maynooth - NUIM)
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by dmcdona. Reason: Update Blackrock Castle
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery, Mike, KevinSmith

More
8 years 4 months ago #105115 by KevinSmith
Replied by KevinSmith on topic New Observatory Code Award for Ireland
Many Thanks Mike for the very kind words and also for the patience in answering my endless barrage of questions which helped me along the way.

I very much look forward to now getting on with some real work and submitting reports under the new code.

If anyone else needs help or is thinking of getting a code please feel free to contact me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

More
8 years 4 months ago #105116 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic New Observatory Code Award for Ireland
Hi Dave,

Many thanks for keeping a track of the observatories in Ireland.

Monck Observatory is in Dublin's Trinity College -- I noticed you had a question mark after the location. Link to the observatory is www.tcd.ie/Physics/Astrophysics/observatory.php

Daramona is in Streete, Co. Westmeath. A fine article by John McConnell about Daramona is at www.eaas.co.uk/cms/index.php%3Foption%3D...ng-zone%26Itemid%3D8

Could you add Blackrock Castle Observatory in Cork to the list? Cheers!

The astrophysics department in NUI Maynooth have an SCT set up in a dome on the roof of the Science Building. Info at www.maynoothuniversity.ie/experimental-p...rophysics/telescopes

Another article of interest is one by Jimmy O'Connor of the IAS about Irish amateur astronomers in the 19th century. See www.irishastrosoc.org/orbit/articles/irish.htm

Chat soon,

John

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds