• Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #106015 by dave_lillis
Burren Starparty 2016 x2 ! was created by dave_lillis
Hi Everyone,
This year, Shannonside AC will be running the BSP with a twist,
In an effort to get some clear skies, it was decided to double our chances by running the event twice.

Friday-Saturday nights , 2-3 September &
Friday-Saturday nights , 30 Sept -1st October

We're taking a dual approach, if it's clear on the first weekend, then great, we'll go ahead with it and then again in the end of September. If the weather is poor for the first weekend in September, then we'll cancel and go again in the end of September. Keep an eye on our facebook page to see updates as they happen nearer to the event.

The first weekend should be that bit warmer, but will have the disadvantage of having fewer hours of darkness as it's so near the summer.
The second weekend will have a substantially longer night but with the possible disadvantage of it been abit cooler since it's nearer to the winter.
Either way, we're hoping to get a good nights viewing between the 2 weekends. These are evening/night time events, there are no day time talks/lectures.

We'll have a BBQ there, to keep everyone fueled up for the night.

This is a free night sky viewing event. The club and its members will have telescopes there, but you are encouraged to bring along your own if you have one. We encourage people at all levels to attend, whether you have years of experience or just have a passing interest.

The observing site is the Poulnabrone Dolman carpark in the Burren in county Clare, it has the advantage of been an easy place to get to , it's relatively near Galway, Ennis and Limerick and their respective motorways, yet it's a great dark sky location, one of thee best observing locations in the country.

If you're traveling from afar, then there are plenty of hotel rooms in nearby Ballyvaughan, the area is full of things to do in daytime, such as the touring the Burren itself, the Aillwee caves, Doolin caves, Aran islands, Cliffs of Moher, the Burren Bird of Prey Sanctuary just to name a few.

For more info, see
shannonsideastronomyclub.com/sac_burren_starparty.htm

PS, for anyone wishing to do deepsky photography, can you please let club members know beforehand. We use laser pointers due to the large public numbers that show up so we can't always observe strict starparty lighting rules , but we can keep usage to a minimum if we know you're there.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by dave_lillis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #106073 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Burren Starparty 2016 x2 !
Hi Everyone,
Many thanks to those who came along last night, the craic was good and everyone enjoyed themselves, despite the weather not co-operating, we got some tiny gaps were we got a glimpse of the milkyway.

Given that the weather is so poor today, the club has decided to call off the observing for tonight (Saturday 3rd), no point if the clouds aren't co-operating.

We're going to give it another go on Friday the 30th Sept and Saturday the 1st of October, same place, Poulnabrone Dolman in the Burren.

This is a free public event, everyone is welcome.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by dave_lillis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds