K-Tec

M13 at 374X

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #101320 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic M13 at 374X
Hi Aubrey

I think we are definitely singing from the same hymn sheet here old boy, big mags and big fields.

As you said earlier, reviews of the 2.5mm are difficult to find. I'm surprised there is no review on Cloudy Nights, which may tell you all you need to know I suppose. I did find this after a short search

www.astronomics.com/televue-25mm-nagler-...-eyepiece_p3468.aspx

The second paragraph states quite clearly that it is designed for use in short focal length refractors, so that would make me a bit wary if I owned your particular scope. And, at 1500mm focal length, I couldn't see it being of much use in the Nexstar (600x!!)

But, I would love to try it anyway. Good luck if you decide to go for it.

BTW, I had an interesting call from my mate Mark this morning. He is the one who had sold me the 8.8 Meade. He had bought a 7.2m Speers Waler Mark 2 for his 5" Evostar, and he hates it, and wants his 8.8 back. I have a Mark 1 10mm Speers, and it is a lovely eyepiece in the dob, although not in the Nexstar.

So, since I am mainly a dob fan, we have agreed to do a long term swap, and see how it pans out.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by stevie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 8 months ago #101322 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic M13 at 374X
Thank you, Stevie, for the astronomics link. I did read this article last night. And it does bother me that the 2.5mm Nagler might not suit my scope. In the past, people have said to me that Naglers do focus at precisely the same distance -and I do know this. Both my 5mm and 3.5mm Nagler focus at the same focal point -I do not have to change the position of the drawtube. Could it be that my 158mm apo would find it impossible to focus with this eyepiece? I don't know. My focal length is 1121mm, and my focal ratio is F/7.Therefore it is not a short focal length refractor. Or would it focus just fine? I am not rushing into any conclusions at this time.

I have heard of Speers Waler eyepieces, but I do not know anyone who has one. From what I read, lots of people in America have them. They appear to be very reasonable to purchase. It is strange that they work in some telescopes bu not others.

I t is great talking to you guys in the wee North. I am a fan of Terry Moseley.

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds