Leonids meteor burst observed 23/11/2014 after 03:08hrs

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 4 months ago #102444 by Seanie_Morris
Hi All,

When I got home this morning after 3am, I stopped to view the wonderful dark skies and the naked eye sights of the night sky from my dark sky home. It was cold, a little frostty, no breeze, and the seeing was the best I have seen yet this season.
Between 03:08 and 03:16hrs, I observed many Leonid meteors, 1 Geminid (-2 magnitude) and 1 Ursa Majorid (-1 magnitude). During this period, I was counting an average of 5 to 7 Leonids a minute! They were extremely fast, left no trails, and ranged between -1 and +5 magnitude, all radiating in all directions from the Sickle/Leo.

I had heavy cases in my hand, so I gave up at 03:16 and went inside to grab some cereal and go to bed! If I wasn't so tired, I would have gone back outside, but I probably would have fallen asleep under the stars in my camping chair. :)

Some people on these boards have meteor cameras. I wonder if something might have been spotted that would correlate what I observed?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis, michael_murphy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds