Transit of Mercury, Monday May 9th
Irish observers will get to see the whole of the Transit of Mercury on Monday May 9th.
This is the first time since 2006 that this has happened, with the next occuring on November 11th 2019.
Mercury will be a tiny disc transiting the solar disc between 11:12hrs and 18:42hrs, start to finish. There are a few ways to show this event with safety in mind (VERY important!).
Michael Murphy elected new IFAS Chairperson
He takes over from Seanie Morris from Midlands Astronomy Club, who held the position for the (maximum allowed) 3 years. Congratulations to Michael, and members of the IFAS and Irish astronomical community wish him well!
Ireland's Largest Astronomy Community
Link with Astronomers from Ireland and around the world!
Welcome to the Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies (IFAS), an umbrella group of Astronomical Clubs & Societies throughout Ireland represented and helped here. Through this website, you can avail of:
- Chat Forums for getting/offering tips, tricks and sharing news and events.
- Club and Society nationwide events, posted in one easy-to-find website.
- Upcoming astronomical highlights and events.
- Buy & Sell for private individuals.
- Monthly Sponsored Astrophotography Competitions for great prizes.
- Useful guides, downloads and more.
Join over 2,200 registered like-minded Amateur Astronomers from Ireland and around the world! Joining only takes a minute and it's FREE. You can view topics without registering, but you won't be able to post content unless you are registered.
Irish Astronomer discovers new variable star
Mike Foylan, and astronomer based at Cherryvalley Observatory here in Ireland (IAU observatory code I83) has discovered a new variable star. Using an 8 inch telescope and camera while attempting light measurements of minor planet 3492 Petra-Pepi, Mike made the discovery in the constellation of Ophiuchus.
- Cian O'Regan Photography Exhibit @ Astronomy Ireland STAR-BQ
- Thanks Garry, I certainly plan on making it to this lecture. I've been in contact with Eddie Lyons...
- In Observing & Astronomy News / Astro Photography