Solar Eclipse Friday March 20th - Get your FREE solar viewer!
The Total Solar Eclipse on the morning of Friday March 20th will not have Ireland covered in total shadow: the path of totality is closer to the Faroe Islands.
Ireland will get 90-91% of the solar disc blocked out by the Moon, maximum darkness appearing at 09:26hrs Irish Time. Even so, there will be diminished heat and light, and the subject matter will still warrant safe observing! This is a great outreach and observing opportunity, so make the most of it! To help, here is our guide to Observing the Sun Safely >
FREE Solar VIEWER
Solar Eclipse Viewing Sites
Interact with our Facebook page here to see where there is an eclipse event near you AND let everyone know where you are going to see it.
Get your copy of the IFAS 2015 Calendar
With many copies already sold, have you purchased yours and supported IFAS yet? Featuring 12 stunning images by IFAS amateur astrophotographers, the calendar is packed with monthly highlights, observing tips and glossary of information, packed into 28 colour pages. All profits after printing costs go directly to IFAS to help promote astronomy and allied subjects in Ireland.
Irish Astronomer Dave Grennan nets his 3rd supernova
Irish Astronomer Dave Grennan received conformation of his 3rd supernova discovery from his Dublin-based backyard observatory. This from RTE:
Dave discovered the Type 1c Supernova nearly two weeks ago, but was confirmed by a team of professional astronomers in China and announced by the International Astronomical Union on Saturday. It has been named "Supernova 2014as".
Midlands AC Presents COSMOS 2014 - April 4th to 6th at Athlone
Hosted by Midlands Astronomy Club and Ireland's only weekend-long Astronomy Star Party, COSMOS 2014 makes its way to the luxurious 4 Star Shamrock Lodge Hotel in County Westmeath over the weekend of April 4th to 6th.
The Guest Speakers include:
- Mr. Will Gater Astronomer, Science Write, and author of "The Practical Astronomer".
- Dr. Xavier Pellicer Geologist with the Geological Survey of Ireland, working with NASA.
- Dr. Eamon O'Gorman Theoretical Physics Postdoctoral Researcher at Trinity College Dublin.
- Ms. Mary Mulvihill Science author and broadcaster from Ingenious Ireland.
- Mr. William Bean Irish Astronomer & Blogger.
- Mr. John McKeon Irish Astrophotograher.
- Mr. Michael O'Connell Midlands Astronomy Club
- Mr. Declan Molloy Midlands Astronomy Club
Once of Ireland's best loved astronomical get-togethers, the weekend offers visitors almost everything from:
* Lectures by experienced and renowned people
* Exhibits and Displays
* Astro Buy & Sell
* Observing (2 nights worth)
* Saturday Night Dinner Party
* The Annual Cosmos Table Quiz
* Great opportunity to get to know like-minded amateur astronomers from around Ireland.
More details from the forums here or from the MAC website: www.midlandsastronomy.com including accommodation list and programme of events.
About Article Count: 15
Page 2 of 2
- New Facebook group for UK and Ireland Astronomy Buy and Sell
- Having a facebook group or page is a good decision for any business. It helps to build a positive...
- In Buy and Sell / For Sale & Freebies