K-Tec

IFAS invited to Starmus, Tenerife Sept 22nd to 27th

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 7 months ago #101757 by Seanie_Morris
Coming up from September 22nd to 27th on Tenerife is Starmus, a star party-like event that, quite frankly, we would all give our right arm to attend (see www.starmus.com ). This is the second Starmus to take place. The first in 2011 had notable guests as Neill Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Richard Dawkins and George Smooth among others, and was a celebration of "50 Years in Space".

This year, dubbed "Beginnings. The making of the modern cosmos" celebrates humankinds watch upon the stars in wonder at what lies beyond Earth through presentations from astronauts, cosmonauts, Nobel Prize winners and prominent figures from science, culture, the arts and music.

The program for 2014 includes such notable figures like:

Stephen Hawking
Brian May
Alexei Leonov
Harrison Schmitt
John Ellis
Richard Dawkins
Robert Wilson

and many more.

Ireland is to be represented by 3 prominent people in the field of amateur astronomy by invitation and kind expenses coverage of Tour Espana. As IFAS Chairperson, I have been invited as one of these three to attend the event and offer a kind of press coverage throughout the week it is on. The 5 day lectures program includes a star party on Mt Teide (the island's volcano and elevated observing site), and an exclusive press group Q&A session with the 'cast' of the event. There is also a concert with Brian May ("Queen"), Rick Wakeman ("Yes") and also possibly Peter Gabriel (the last of which is on the Board of Advisors of Starmus).

Quite frankly, it is a dream opportunity. To have even the chance to meet just one person on the roster of lecturers would have been a coup for me, but to be asked to travel and meet the likes of which I mentioned here - all in one location - is a dream come true! Heck, I might even see who I can wrangle in for Cosmos 2016!

This event will also boost Ireland's own amateur astronomy presence, as I am representing a large core of amateur astronomers through IFAS that have excelled in science, astronomy, art and astrophotography. And this is part of what the trip is about: relations between Ireland and Spain, incorporating tourism with science and astronomy.

No doubt, while there I will post regular updates to the IFAS Facebook page and on these forums. Also, no doubt, I will have many invitations for someone to attend as my baggage handler, or tour guide, translator and even tea maker!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #101759 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic IFAS invited to Starmus, Tenerife Sept 22nd to 27th
Enjoy the event Seanie. Its about time that chairmans job had a few perks .

When I was in Melbourne in the Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society, one of our club members won the astrophotography competition for Starmus and was awarded a free all paid expenses trip from Melbourne to Teneriffe to attend the event and collect the top prize Here is Alex Cherney at our club observing site and his winning video (see below)

www.twanight.org/newTWAN/photographers_a...apher=Alex%20Cherney

vimeo.com/24253126

His description of the event had us all green with envy. Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Alexei Leonov... but to name a few.
Its a tough job but someone has to do it for Ireland. B)
Looking forward to the daily updates with lots of photos'. Enjoy ;)

Footnote: I just checked the Starmus web page. Alex has won the competition yet again !. Please pass on my regards if you meet him.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by johnomahony.

More
9 years 7 months ago #101761 by Paul Evans
Brilliant, enjoy the trip Seanie, and send lots of pictures!

Paul

More
9 years 7 months ago #101762 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic IFAS invited to Starmus, Tenerife Sept 22nd to 27th
Hi Seanie
Get some good pics, it's about time that the chairmans job gave you more then just a work load !!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 7 months ago #101786 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic IFAS invited to Starmus, Tenerife Sept 22nd to 27th

johnomahony wrote: When I was in Melbourne in the Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society, one of our club members won the astrophotography competition for Starmus and was awarded a free all paid expenses trip from Melbourne to Teneriffe...
Footnote: I just checked the Starmus web page. Alex has won the competition yet again !. Please pass on my regards if you meet him.

I will John! Alex's work is very, very impressive. I fit wasn't for the fact that it's an amateur's competition, then I'd say we would have seen Damian Peach the winner! Though, he is on the judging panel.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 6 months ago #101792 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic IFAS invited to Starmus, Tenerife Sept 22nd to 27th
Update: The other 2 people invited on this trip are David Moore, Chairman of Astronomy Ireland and Patrick Freyne, feature writer with the Irish Times.

I got my boarding cards and itinerary yesterday (still gobsmacked), and a request as to who I would like to interview while I am there. I said 'Sure, them all!' I'll see what they say...

:)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, johnomahony

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds