K-Tec

Congratulations to Michael O'Connel and Mike Foylan

• eansbro
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
8 years 4 months ago #105212 by eansbro
Michael and Mike are co authors in the December Journal of the British Astronomical Association (2015 Dec. Vol. 125, No.6) provides the meteor results of the Quadrantids meteors for 2014. The results showed that the meteors detected and extinction altitudes were in good agreement with other historical workers.

The results from the brighter Quantrantids suggest that for every magnitude increase in brightness they penetrate about 3 km deeper into the atmosphere. The Quantrantids are extinguished at higher altitudes than the Geminids, even though they have similar geocentric velocities suggesting that they consist of more fragile debris. It is suggested that the parent body is the near Earth asteroid 2003 EH.

The opportuntiy of observing the Geminids meteor shower is tonight. Your results can be uploaded on the IFAS site.

We need a lot more cameras in Ireland order to estimate the radiant drift in RA and Dec. This will result in more comprehensive reporting on the major showers.

Michael will be giving a workshop at the Galway Festival on January 30th 2016. Mike will have a exhibition stand in order to demonstrate how to get involved in this pursuit.

Eamonn
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaeloconnell, michael_murphy, johnomahony, Mike, R Newman, KevinSmith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #105220 by Mike
Many thanks Eamonn for your words

I am sure that Michael will echo my sentiments in that we would also like to give acknowledgment and thanks to two key members of the NEMETODE group; Mr. William Stewart and Mr. Alex Pratt, both of whom are very dedicated, knowledgeable and give freely of their time in helping and giving advice to anyone that wishes to begin their own meteor detection station. It’s really a big boost to be part of a team when such enthusiastic persons are involved.

I am really looking forward to the Galway astronomy festival; Michael will be delivering a fantastic workshop and for anyone that has been lucky in the past to attend one of Michael's talks knows that Michael is a great speaker in delivering the science and fun aspects of our hobby in a unique way, so definitely one workshop you don’t want to miss.

We really hope to see more amateur astronomers / interested persons setup meteor detection stations in Ireland and become part of the NEMETODE group where full support will be given to you. There are some gaps in our video coverage over Ireland and it would be great to get more people on-board. Our fellow British amateur astronomers within the NEMETODE group have gone from strength to strength with many new members, we hope in some part at least to match that here in Ireland with your help.

If you would like to find out more about what we do, and how you can be part of the NEMETODE team and take part in the fun and science here is our website link…

www.nemetode.org/index.html

Wishing everyone many clear skies for this Christmas and holiday season

Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinSmith

More
8 years 3 months ago #105230 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Congratulations to Michael O'Connel and Mike Foylan
Thanks Eamonn.
It'd be great to get more people on board.
Hopefully the hands-on approach at Galway will help explain the topic and generate further interest.
Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinSmith

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds