• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
7 years 5 months ago #106127 by lunartic_old
Lough Dan Scout Centre was created by lunartic_old
Hi all

I was in contact with the management of the Lough Dan Scout Centre in the Wicklow mountains about the possibility of using their site for observations and photography. I sent the following email:

Hi there

I am contacting you enquiring if your site would be available to a group of amateur astronomers wanting to get in some dark skies for observations and photography? It is clearly understood that the site will be off limits when there are cub and scout groups are booked in, however, we would be observing mostly in the late autumn, winter and early spring mostly at the weekend.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul

This is the reply I got:

Hi Paul
No problem. Work away so long as you share a few of your photos with us for use on our website? Just make a day visit booking via our website www.loughdan.com so the staff know to expect you. On the site there is also a check availability calendar so you can see the quieter weekends.

Would you do an introductory session for scouts/cubs at Lough Dan for the Roundwood group?

Cheers
Zef

I have been to this location at night and it had great night sky views, there are trees and the horizon is not visible.

This is a page from their website about their dark sky reserve:

www.loughdan.com/?page_id=1017

There are toilets on site and even a hostel, see here:

www.loughdan.com/?page_id=1017

I think that this will be an alternative to the Sugarloaf, especially when the winds are high, we all know what it's like standing up there when the wind howls.:-( :-( . Naturally this site will not be accessible at all times, scouts and cubs will have priority, but it's an alternative to have.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #106128 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Lough Dan Scout Centre
Good work Paul,

Perhaps we should organise an evening for the Scouts which would allow those of us who have not been there to check the place out. Maybe a Wednedsay/Thursday close to first quarter Moon?

Michael.

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
7 years 5 months ago #106129 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Lough Dan Scout Centre
I plan to head down there,perhaps Saturday to have a talk with the guy and then we'll see where it goes from there.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
7 years 5 months ago #106130 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Lough Dan Scout Centre
I'm not around on Saturday, but let me know how it goes.

Michael.

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
7 years 5 months ago #106131 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Lough Dan Scout Centre
Will do.

Rich Cook

More
7 years 5 months ago #106132 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Lough Dan Scout Centre
Great work Paul. Yes, let us all know how you get on. Im sure a few of us can help with any intro session. That would be cool.actually.

Sean

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds