Open Invitation to EAE Summer Star Parties-Mt Parnon, GREECE

• Vagelis Tsamis
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 3 weeks ago #64794 by Vagelis Tsamis
Dear Irish friends,

I am writing this post to invite you to participate in our Astronomical Observing Star Parties at Mt Parnon, Greece, in June 6-8, or July 3-7 or August 28-31.

A r r a n g e m e n t s :

1. Accomodation. You can stay at the George Pierce Refuge, just next to the observing site, at a cost of 10 euros per person per day. Or you can set up your tent (free camping).
2. Transport. For up to 6-7 people at a time, we can offer you a free transport from Athens Intl Airport to the observing site with our cars, and return. This is a 3.5 hrs drive.
3. Food. From 5 to 20 euros per person per day. See below.
4. Telescopes. Every member of EAE would be happy to let you see through or perhaps operate his/her telescope. Of course you can bring your own photo/telescope gear with you.
5. Time of Arrival. It would be most convenient if you come as a group with the same flight. Best time to arrive is Wednesday, best month is July.
6. General Comment: Because the number of beds in the refuge is limited since EAE members will also be staying there, in case too many Irish friends would want to come at the same month, some kind of priority rule could be applied.

For more information contact: vtsamis@aegean.gr or answer this post!

Best Regards,
On behalf of the EAE,
Vagelis Tsamis, EAE Observing Coordinator,
Anthony Ayiomammitis, EAE Council Member,
Leonidas Papasotoriou, EAE Treasurer.

S o m e _ a d d i t i o n a l _ I n f o :

- EAE: Hellenic Astronomical Association, amateur astronomy club.
www.astronomia.org.gr/
www.astronomia.org.gr/index_e.php for english.
EAE is one of the most active astronomy clubs in Greece.

- The Parnon Observing Site: At 1,420m altitude, it is the size of a football field (actually, it used to be one!), It is leveled, covered with short grass. It is the main observing site of the EAE.
astronomia.org.gr/Coppermine/displayimag...d=170&fullsize=1
www.astrovox.gr/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=3582
astronomia.org.gr/Coppermine/displayimag...d=370&fullsize=1

- The George Pierce Refuge is a very warm and friendly place. It belongs to the Sparta Alpine Club. Its distance from the observing site is 300 m. It has a fireplace and dinning tables, a kitchen where one can cook, and 27 beds. Beds are double or triple (one on top of the other) and are all in one big sleeping chamber, which is upstairs. A lot of blankets and pillows are available for everybody, but no sheets. One can bring his/her bed-sheets, if necessary. Downstairs there is washing water and a WC.
www.astrovox.gr/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=2358
www.astrovox.gr/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=3583
- Google Earth map (Katafygio E.O.S. Spartis): bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/867166

- The Camping Site. In summertime, we set up our camping tents under high pine trees, just next to the observing site. There is always a refreshing current of air blowing through the pine trees, which keeps the temperature low at daylight. This is very pleasant, because it can be very hot at the sun-exposed observing site. One needs to be in a shadow during summertime in Greece. At night the temperature can be as low as +3/+4 Celsius, but some times it gets no lower than +10.
astronomia.org.gr/Coppermine/displayimag...d=353&fullsize=1
www.astrovox.gr/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=4343

- Spring Water. There is a picturesque fresh-water spring very close to the refuge and to the camping site. It is a place where one can have lunch or a wash/bath.

- Clothing. For night observations, bring warm clothes and boots. Head cover is necessary.
Also DO bring light clothing for the daytime. It is hot in Greece, even on the mountains. Temperature could be 30 Celsius or more.
Sunglasses and a hat absolutely necessary at daytime.

- About Food. Practically it can cost you very little. We can eat together breakfast, lunch and dinner. All these years, each one of us brings some food from home, which we all share in a common table. Also we use to cook in the refuge kitchen, or have a BBQ. In this case we contribute some money to share the cost. Or some of us may go to a nearby village (Ag. Petros or Kastanitsa) to eat in a tavern and we share the cost. So food might cost, let’s say, from 5 to 20 euro.

- Main Flora: Pine trees, Fir trees, Bracken.
- No mosquitoes, no snakes, no wild animals. Grasshoppers or lizards may appear occasionally. Sometimes in June, flies might appear, but they are absolutely harmless.

- Protection and Health of Forest Resources: Local and government Forestry Authorities protect the forest resources and the health of forest ecosystems. There is a strong sensitivity for fire protection in Greece after last year's catastrophic fires.
So one must be aware of the environmental protection issues and follow the rules of EAE during his/her stay.

Other Activities
- Mountain Climbing. There are some nice routes for walking and cycling in the area. What we enjoy to do is take a morning mountain walk for 1-2-3 hrs in the European Path E4 (Greek part). It is up to us how long we walk or how high we want to reach. If we are in the mood, we can reach Kronion, the highest peak of Mt Parnon, at 1,934 meters alt. But that’s at least 4 - 5 hrs walk (go and return).
astronomia.org.gr/Coppermine/displayimag...d=206&fullsize=1
Exhausted astronomers after ¼ hr mountain walking - summertime: www.astrovox.gr/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=3507
* New pic from April 5, 2008 - walking in the snow: farm3.static.flickr.com/2015/2405393478_c333619225_o.jpg

In this section I am copy/pasting some extra info, which comes up as the thread proceeds, so you can have the whole picture.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:37 pm Post subject:

1. The best month is July because we can form a stronger "greek suppport team", we will have plenty of days, and the weather conditions are expected to be 99.99% good. The refuge will be open from Wednesday and on.
2. In August, the refuge will open from Thursday and on. But camping for 1 day (Wednesday) is an option.
3. In June, the days available for the star party will be limited to Friday night and Saturday night, and the support team will be smaller.

In June usually we are 10-15 observers, 60-120 in July and 40-80 in August.
Most EAE observers arrive at the observing site on Friday and some on Saturday. Almost all leave on Sunday.
We (our support team and you) can drive to the observing site on Wednesday or Thursday, enjoy the magical sound of silence for 2 or 1 days and nights, and then it gets crowdy and we have a plenty of telescopes of all types and sizes, etc, etc...

I would like to point out that even if the weather sometimes is not as good as expected and no observation is possible, nobody ever left this place dissapointed. It is a beautiful place.

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #64795 by michaeloconnell
Vagelis,
On behalf of everyone here on www.irishastronomy.org I'd like to thank you and your club for this extremely generous offer! Many thanks!
I for one will certainly be there for one of the events!
One question, how many hours of observing do you get in July? I know your summer nights are longer than ours.

• Vagelis Tsamis
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 3 weeks ago #64796 by Vagelis Tsamis
Hi Michael!
You just reserved a seat! Nr 1 and counting...
About 6 hrs.
see also: www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?p=52933#52933

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #64797 by michaeloconnell
Ah yes, I knew we discussed it before! Thanks!

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #64798 by michaeloconnell
Flights for 3rd to 7th July
Aer Lingus don't fly to Athens on the 3rd. Flights do take place on the 2nd and 4th. Flights don't arrive until late at night. Therfore, this requires leaving on the 2nd and staying the night in Athens. Price of flight is 325euro incl taxes. Flight departs Dublin at 2:30pm.
Ryanair don't fly to Greece.
Aegean Airlines don't fly to Ireland.
Czech Airlines - stop over in Prague. Flight arrives in Athens late at night/early morning 1:15am. Price is around 250euro return incl taxes.
Malev Hungarian Airlines - stop over in budapest. Arrives in Athens at 3:50pm. Cost is approx 285euro.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 3 weeks ago #64799 by DaveGrennan
Vagelis,

Thanks to you and the EAE for your extremely kind offer. I would also like to travel to this event and have just gotten my release papers signed by my wife:). I will will liase with Michael.

I look forward to meeting yourself, Anthony and the rest of the EAE.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds