K-Tec

For Sale:8" 6" OTAs, LXD75 hypertuned mount, some more bits.

• cathalferris
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #102490 by cathalferris
I've recently moved house and as a result I'm pruning back my astronomy kit to make some room.
So, I have the following for sale, based in Limerick:
  • 8" Newtonian OTA: 0.979 Strehl 200mm aperture; 1150mm focal length mirror by Orion Optics. The tube is fully flocked internally - there's no stray light! The OTA has a 3-vane curved spider to minimise diffraction spikes. It comes with an upgraded 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser with extension tube and 1.25" adapter all with brass compression fittings, Skywatcher findershoe, and tube rings with Vixen-compatible dovetail mounting. Fantastic visual performer and is set up for use with a DSLR. Looking for €300 for this OTA
  • Meade 6" F5 OTA, again fully flocked internally, 2" R&P focuser with 1.25" adapter, 6x30 finderscope, with tube rings and vixen dovetail mounting. Looking for €120
  • Meade LXD75 mount, hypertuned with belts and pulleys instead of the sometimes-problematic gears. Comes with the upgraded #497 handcontroller with current firmware. Comes with one standard Meade counterweight and a counterweight extension bar. Also included will be the RS232 to RJ11 cable needed for the computer connection. I've used this mount extensively with the above OTAs. Looking for €250 for this mount.
  • Celestron Axiom LX 15mm focal length 1.25" 82 degree fov eyepiece, excellent condition, boxed with caps, €120
  • Meade 34mm focal length 2" 68 degree fov eyepiece, excellent condition, boxed with caps, €100
  • Meade 24mm focal length 1.25" 68 degree fov eyepiece, excellent condition, boxed with caps, €70
  • Celestron Ultima 2x barlow, 1.25", excellent condition ,boxed with caps, €40
  • Celestron X-Cel 18mm 1.25" 55 degree fov (long eye relief!) eyepiece, as-new condition, boxed with caps €35
  • Meade 2" quartz enhanced diagonal, with 1.25" adapter, brass compression fittings all-round, with caps, excellent condition, €80
  • Skywatcher 9x50 RACI finderscope, excellent condition, €50
I haven't yet put them up on Adverts.ie, I'd like to give people here first crack at them!
Thanks for looking!
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by cathalferris.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cathalferris
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #102504 by cathalferris
All eyepieces and diagonal provisionally sold to Kevin.

OTAs, RACI finderscope and LXD-75 mount remaining.

Make an offer if you want :)

For performance, you'll find it hard to get a better 200mm scope than mine on offer here with such a quality mirror and the curved spider, with the completely flocked tube and the two-speed Crayford.

Or make me an offer for the 6" and mount, as a nice christmas present for someone that wants something fairly simple and computer controlled..
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by cathalferris.

More
9 years 3 months ago #102565 by Marto
lol 300€ is a bargain for that tube, I have one myself and have taken great images with it.
Hope you find a good home for it Cathal.

More
9 years 3 months ago #102574 by dimmers
Hi Cathal, John here, have you still got the 8" ota for sale? Any model number? Very interested.

• cathalferris
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #102578 by cathalferris
The 8" OTA was originally an Orion GX-200. The mirror was reworked to .979 Strehl, I think it worked out at just under 1/8 wave. I'm trying to locate the test report that was done on the mirror before I got my hands on it.

I've done some work on the mirror cell to allow more airfow through the cell. I used to have a small CPU fan mounted, but I removed it, and I haven't needed to replace it. I removed the mirror clips and used a 3-dot pattern of silicone to mount it to the cell, and this has worked great.

The previous owner had mounted a Telrad, and those drill holes are present but covered over. When I got the 3-vane spider and the 2-speed 2" crawford, I had to drill a new hole to get the best secondary location. The advantage of this is that a DSLR should reach focus, and I use a short self-centering extension tube (included) to make visual work comfortably.

In short, the OTA is not spectacularly "pretty" but by god is it is effective.

I have a few pics that I'll add later this evening of that OTA.

Oh yes, all three bits (2x ota and mount) still for sale.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by cathalferris. Reason: still for sale.

More
9 years 3 months ago #102579 by dimmers
Cool, looking to replace my 120xlt which is awful for astrophotography. When are you around, I'm in Cork?

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds