ATIK 383L+ Mono CCD

• CarlightExpress
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 2 months ago #96730 by CarlightExpress
ATIK 383L+ Mono CCD was created by CarlightExpress
Well I now have my ATIK 383L+ Mono CCD Camera, I have to wait a few weeks for the StarlightExpress 36mm Filterwheel and Baader Filters, there's a 4-6 week delay on the filters.

Whilst I am waiting for these, I thought I would start building my Dark and BIAS libraries, so I thought I would post on here what I used and how easy it was

1. The drivers that came with the camera were not at the level high enough to perform BIAS frames. I discovered this when I was getting an Error that the driver could not perform this. So after some research, I went onto Atik's website, downloaded the latest software and drivers and then I could perform my BIAS frames

2. Ease of use, the Set Point control software to control the cooling is a doddle, tell it what temperature you want the camera cooled to, and leave it alone, so I have mine set to -25 Degrees C, I chose this temperature because I looked at the averaging temperatures per month, and the highest would be 15 Degrees C, and whilst the camera will cool to -30 from +15, the max delta reported in the documentation is -40Degrees C Delta. So I opted to do all my BIAS and Darks at -25 Degrees C, this means one set of darks per exposure time, replaced every six months

3. Cooling system, the camera gets down from +14 to -25 within 2 or three minutes so imaging sessions could start very quickly.

4. I chose Maxim DL to acquire the darks and BIAS, simply because I could not find anywhere within any other of my applications to be able to do BIAS frames which was a little annoying.

5. Noise Level - The noise from the cooling system is well within what I would regard as acceptable, unlike my Cooled DSLR which when the fan speed was on the highest speed could be heard and was annoying (Hence why I fitted a fan regulator to it), but the Atik 383L+ Fan is extremely quiet in comparison

6. Build Quality - Well I made the right decission, the camera itself it of excellent build quality and there was a couple of reasons why I went for the Atik version with the Kodak 8300 chip over others, the main reason was the lower readout noise compared to QHY, SX, SBIG etc. It was slightly more expensive than the QHY9M, but well worth the extra.

7. I have not had to change the Gain or Offset settings for the camera whatsoever, nor have I found any settings to change these, it looks Optimal, the Minimum BIAS frame offset seen is 260, which between 100 and 1000 is perfectly acceptable. The gain level on the normall lit room on a 10 second exposure does not completely fill up the well capacity, and the result was 65529 which is below the maximum so there's no change required there also

So far I have performed all of my BIAS frames in 1x1, 2x2 and 3x3 Binned modes and my 5Min 1x1 and 2x2 are completed also, one thing I did notice that the Standard Deviation in my dark frames between 600S and 900S exposure times is exactly the same, indicating that the "Hot Pixels" are not differing between the exposure times.

I am extremely happy so far with my purchase, and once I have the filterwheel and filters I can't wait to put the camera to the test fully!!!!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wbean, markrgriffin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #96736 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: ATIK 383L+ Mono CCD
If you are going to regulate the temperature of the CCD, as long as the temperature of your darks matches the temperature of your lights, BIAS frames are not required.

The Gain is set at the chip level (within the amplifier I think) - so you won;t be able to change it anyhow.

I'm not sure about offset - I do know that you can set a "pedestal" value in MaximDL.

Have a look at this thread for a discussion on CCD characterisation. Its easy enough (if you know how) and a worthy project. And best of all, can be done indoors when its cloudy...

www.irishastronomy.org/index.php?option=...itstart=20&Itemid=40

Looking forward to seeing your images.

• CarlightExpress
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 2 months ago #96737 by CarlightExpress
Replied by CarlightExpress on topic Re: ATIK 383L+ Mono CCD
From what I understand BIAS frames are required because of the "Value" of the pixel when the current is applied without exposure, this is why it is done at 0.00 exposure time. these "BIAS" frames get deducted from the Darks and Flats during porcessing, which is why nebulosity has selectable options for Darks, Flats and BIAS.

There's a good youtube video that explains it by John Blackwell

All my BIAS masters are completed now anyway :)

Simon

More
11 years 2 months ago #96740 by dmcdona
Simon - take a look at this:

www.cyanogen.com/help/maximdl/Bias_Frame_Calibration.htm

If you subtract the BIAS and your DARK from your image, you are effectively subtracting the BIAS twice - because the DARK already contains the BIAS.

Your master BIAS frames may still come in useful for your flats - if you haven't taken FLAT-DARKS.

Welcome to the world of CCD's...

• CarlightExpress
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 2 months ago #96741 by CarlightExpress
Replied by CarlightExpress on topic Re: ATIK 383L+ Mono CCD
And that like states:

"Ideally, the other types of calibration frames (dark and flat-field) should themselves be bias frame calibrated. MaxIm DL does this automatically when bias frame files are selected"

So in essence the Darks should also have the BIAS deducted, or am I reading that incorrectly?

More
11 years 2 months ago #96744 by dmcdona
"It should be mentioned that bias is also included in dark frames. As such, it actually is possible to perform accurate calibration without using bias frames. That said, you should always use bias frames if either of the following are true:

1. You are using exposure scaling to match dark frames to light frames

2. You are using flat-field frames but are not using matching dark frames ("flat-darks")"

If all your images (lights, light-darks, flats, flat-darks) are taken at the same temperature and exposure duration(easy with a temp controlled CCD and software) then no, BIAS frames are not required. I've never used them at all.

Darks already contain the BIAS.

See the bottom of this page re BIAS frames:

starizona.com/acb/ccd/advimcal.aspx
The following user(s) said Thank You: CarlightExpress

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds