• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
10 years 2 months ago #99929 by albertw
Astronomic Clip in CLS filter was created by albertw
Hi,

I picked up a t-thread CLS-CCD filter from Simon at Cosmos last year and it really helped reduce the light pollution in my images with my IR filter modified Canon 1000D.

The only issue with it was that you can't really use it with regular lenses, so I got a clip in version recently to do some more widefield photography.

So what kind of difference do these filters actually make? I'm in South Dublin with suburban light pollution so with widefield shots it really limits your abilities. But here's the difference the filter makes:

The non filtered image is saturated in the red channel so you have no hope of picking out the h-alpha, you could get a better picture using shorter exposures, but I thought that using the same exposure settings for both wold give a better reflection on what the filter is doing.

No replacement for dark skies but it's a godsend for polluted skies.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, martinus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #99930 by martinus
Replied by martinus on topic Astronomic Clip in CLS filter
Thanks Albert.

I've been agonising over the myriad filters available and it's nice to see that kind of a comparison. I see a lot of the clip-in fliters advertised second-hand and have wondered if people didn't get the results they were hoping for. I'm surrounded by both sodium streetlights and those magnesium floods thanks to a nearby football pitch or three.

Nice to see such a profound effect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds