• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #101690 by johnflannery
Stunning views of the Moon on Sept 4th was created by johnflannery
Hi all,

I couldn't see Mare Crisium with the unaided eye tonight so suspected a maximum libration has tipped it close to the lunar limb. The 10x50mm binos confirmed as much.

But it's the rest of the Moon on view this evening that is stunning even in these grab-and-go instruments.

Sinus Iridium is right on the terminator and I can see the higher ramparts of Montes Jura illuminated by sunrise while the Bay itself is still somewhat in darkness.

The ray from Tycho that stretches across Mare Serenitatis is nicely defined while there's alternating light and dark streaks splayed towards Mare Nectaris and Fecunditatis. The mind's eye pictured the southern highlands as the bulbous head of some creature giving the whole scene the impression of a giant octopus occupying the SE quadrant of the Moon.

I think it is the crater [strike]Clavius[/strike] Gassendi which is also catching the first rays of lunar sunrise at this time too. The 10x magnification and now clouded over Moon cut short my attempt to make certain the identification. Edited to correct the name of the crater observed.

All in all, just a 15 minute glimpse of lovely luna but hopefully a taster of what wonders you can see in just a few minutes with simple equipment.

John
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by johnflannery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic_old, mykc, flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #101691 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Stunning views of the Moon on Sept 4th
Great to see you doing some observing with your 10x50 binoculars, John.

Paul Byrne and myself both love Sinus Iridum and the Montes Jura. Please do check out my adjoining report regarding Rupes Recta. It certainly is a great time observing the Moon at the moment.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

More
9 years 6 months ago #101692 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Stunning views of the Moon on Sept 4th
Not long in from work and dug out the binos. Sinus Iridum is very prominent, looking like it is standing above the Lunar surface. Kepler and Gassendi are appearing into daylight looking wonderful. The woman in the moon is very obvious.

I conducted an experiment some years back about the smallest object I could see at full moon with tripod mounted 10x50s and it was a crater ten kilometres across, I cant remember the name. I must do it again at a different phase.

A quick scan of the skies revealed the Coathanger, Albireo and the Double Cluster, I must use the binos a little more.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

More
9 years 6 months ago #101697 by Paul Evans
Replied by Paul Evans on topic Stunning views of the Moon on Sept 4th
I was hoping for a good sky on Weds night, but as is often the way. the clouds rolled in just before darkness. I did however manage to get this snap of the daytime Moon, quite low in the South, this taken at 19:30 local time...

pgephotos.co.uk/daytimemoon140903.jpg

Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis, johnflannery, michael_murphy

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 6 months ago #101698 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Stunning views of the Moon on Sept 4th
That's a lovely shot Paul with the Moon offset by the cool blue colors of evening twilight. Many thanks for sharing.

I never thought of looking for the smallest feature visible in 10x50mm binoculars but must try it some time. It's amazing how much detail can be revealed and mounting the binoculars on a tripod as you suggest Paul makes all the difference.

Thanks Aubrey for sharing the report of seeing Birt E and Rupes Recta. Michael Grehan gave me a long-term loan of an 8-inch Dobsonian and once I refurbish it the Moon will be top o' the list for first light.

I checked www.calsky.com and found the 2nd greatest lunar libration of 2014 occurred at 9h (UT) on Wednesday, September 3rd (almost 9 degrees). It tipped the southwestern limb more into view which is why Mare Crisium was not as obvious to the unaided eye.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Evans, flt158

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 6 months ago #101715 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Stunning views of the Moon on Sept 4th
I've corrected the name of the crater I saw ... It was Gassendi and not Clavius. There's a nice index for each lunar day at www.stargazing.net/david/moon/index29days.html ... click on the image for each day and you'll find some of them link to another picture with labels. Very nice!

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds