Phone apps to help measure light pollution

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
8 years 7 months ago #104656 by albertw
Hi All,

Now that the dark evenings are returning and people will have more opportunity to get out under the stars I wanted to remind you of a couple of mobile phone apps that can be used to measure how dark your skies are.

Both of these apps are integrated into the "Globe at Night" project and the readings you submit will appears on www.globeatnight.org/map/

Firstly, for iphone only, we have The Dark Sky Meter App, itunes.apple.com/us/app/dsm-iyl-2015/id626796278?mt=8 . This works by using the phones camera to estimate sky brightness and works like a Sky Quality Meter. I don't have an iphone so I can't comment on how good a job it does!

Secondly, for both android and iphone is the "Loss of Night" app. lossofthenight.blogspot.de/2015/01/brief...ss-of-night-app.html This works by prompting you with a star chart and asking if you can see fainter and fainter stars to determine the naked eye limiting magnitude. The app also supports entering data from an SQM if you have one. The app has a 'nighttime' option which dims the screen and uses only red colours to help preserve your dark vision.

And for those that don't use smartphones, 'Globe at Night' produces starcharts to allow you to estimate the limiting magnitude and submit your readings via their website www.globeatnight.org/5-steps.php

I'd be grateful if you could pass this on to your members and others who may be interested so we can help build up a better picture of light pollution across the country.

Best Wishes,
~Albert
--
www.darksky.ie

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis, michael_murphy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #104665 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Phone apps to help measure light pollution
I'll definitely lend a 'hand' at an investigation where I live. On some of the clearest nights, I have seen things to limiting magnitudes that have stumped me in my location. It will be on the Android app.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
8 years 7 months ago #104672 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Phone apps to help measure light pollution

Seanie_Morris wrote: I'll definitely lend a 'hand' at an investigation where I live. On some of the clearest nights, I have seen things to limiting magnitudes that have stumped me in my location. It will be on the Android app

Thanks Seanie. It'd be great to get more data from around the country.

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

More
8 years 7 months ago #104682 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Phone apps to help measure light pollution

albertw wrote: Thanks Seanie. It'd be great to get more data from around the country.

Can you create a Facebook page and/or a project page on a site of yours, and that way I will add something on an article here on IFAS to get the ball rolling on it?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
8 years 7 months ago #104702 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Phone apps to help measure light pollution
Yes Albert. Ill get a reading from west county dublin. Was out last night, under clear skies and can verify the light pollution here is atrocious.

Sean

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
8 years 7 months ago #104723 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Phone apps to help measure light pollution

Seanie_Morris wrote: Can you create a Facebook page and/or a project page on a site of yours, and that way I will add something on an article here on IFAS to get the ball rolling on it?

www.darksky.ie/phone-apps-to-measure-sky-quality/ Let me know if you had something else in mind - it's no problem to add more to he site.

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds