• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 3 months ago #102512 by RandomPillars
Impromptu Session was created by RandomPillars
Hey all,

Decided at the last minute to go up to the sugar loaf last night with a friend. Basically wanted to get some messier objects in. And also have a look at Orion. Managed to see M1, M35, M36 and M38. Also had a good look at orion and the nebula. Oh, oh and Jupiter of course.

I knew the moon would be up high, wrecking everything. EVERYTHING. It's just the guy at the party that is good for one thing (maybe pouring drinks/providing great detail on craters and such) but kills all other fun and frolics. Still had a look at though, because you kinda have to. And my mate loves looking at it anyway. As I step away from the eyepiece after looking at it, dazed and bit confused, all night vision gone completely, I hate myself for always coming back for more. Anyway, silly, silly moon- with its stabilizing gravitational pull and it's ocean tides trick.

Enough ranting- was actually a really enjoyable session. Looking forward to getting out again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 3 months ago #102513 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Impromptu Session
Oh. If anyone thinks I'm being too mean to our close companion- I'm sorry. It really is a lovely piece of dead orbiting rock. :-)

Sean

More
9 years 3 months ago #102529 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Impromptu Session
It seems only 12" and larger scopes can spot M1 these nights.

Aubrey.

• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 3 months ago #102531 by RandomPillars
Hi Aubrey. Yes, believe it or not its actually the first time I've seen M1. I went looking for it last year to no avail. It was ridiculously hard to spot that night. A lot of luck i assume. And all through averted vision. And to be honest, a bit of a let dowm :-(

Sean
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
9 years 2 months ago #102896 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Impromptu Session
Hey, Sean (Random Pillars).

I was down in County Kildare last Friday night 16th January 2015, and someone suggested I seek out M1 the Crab Nebula.
I pointed the 158mm apochromatic refractor at Zeta Tauri, and instantly saw the elusive Crab Nebula at a mere 40X. I roared "I have it"! The double star STF 742 was right next to it which I split at 112X. I was very impressed with the nebula at 112X. It was large with its strange shape, but very distinctive. So I don't need a 12" Newtonian after all. The simple problem for my home in Ranelagh is light pollution. And, of course, we cannot have the bright moon in the sky.

Aubrey.

• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 2 months ago #102899 by RandomPillars
Great job Aubrey. You've made me want to give it another go. Of course, i don't have near the quality of scope you have, so that may also make the difference! Maybe M1 is one of those sights which proves quality design/optics do trump brute force aperture?

Thanks Aubrey. Ill give it another go as soon as i can.

Sean

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds