Jupiter tonight

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #103710 by johnomahony
Jupiter tonight was created by johnomahony
I was just out with my 12" Dob having a look at Jupiter. Tonight is some of the best seeing I have encountered in quite a while. An ideal night for any imagers out there. The warm temperature inside and outside seems to help. It may drop off a bit as it cools down.
The red spot is noticeably quite orange. Some great detail visible on the belts.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by johnomahony.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, scfahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #103717 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Jupiter tonight
That is a nice report, John.

Tonight Tuesday 7th April, Ganymede's Shadow ingresses Jupiter from 21.00 Irish Summer Time.

I am going out to have a look.

Also tonight and tomorrow night, Jupiter is at its nearest stationary point to the lovely red star FZ Cancri. How close? I shall get back to you about that. Then the giant planet starts to move away towards Leo.

Clear skies,
Aubrey.

More
8 years 11 months ago #103720 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Jupiter tonight
Jupiter is also close to M44 tonight, get those ultra wide angle scopes and eyepieces out.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
8 years 11 months ago #103725 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Jupiter tonight
I took out the 10" dob tonight to try out a 30mm eyepiece I have borrowed (horrible!), and had a nice view of the transit in the Speers Waler 10mm and the 14mm Meade uwa + barlow. The shadow was very dark and quite vivid.

More
8 years 11 months ago #103729 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Jupiter tonight
Hi all.

1. I had a great Tuesday night observing too with my 6.2 inch apochromatic refractor. At 8.45 pm, I could a strange dark feature on Jupiter. It was the Moon itself Ganymede with the bright Equatorial Zone in the background. Then at 20.59, Ganymede began to appear away from Jupiter's western side. Truly spectacular! At 9.05 pm, a magnitude 2 satellite passed very closely west of Jupiter. I discovered on www.heavens-above.com , it was a military reconnaissance spacecraft USA 186. And then at 10.03 pm, I observed that large black shadow of Ganymede at 167X and 225X.

2. Has anyone turned their scopes on Zeta Cancri recently? For the 1st time ever, I was able to split it into 3 components at 167X; normally I need 225X. Last night was very stable.

3. At 21.32, while I was splitting Gamma Leonis (Algieba) at 112X, a bright satellite called Alos of magnitude passed by -I briefly saw in the telescope.

4. The ISS was magnitude -2 last night as passed through Hydra at 9.58.

5. And finally, La Superba is lovely and bright in Canes Venatici at present. It is even an intense orange at 140X. It is a carbon star and one of the brightest in the entire sky.

Clear skies to all.

Aubrey.

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 11 months ago #103730 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Jupiter tonight

flt158 wrote: Hi all.

1. I had a great Tuesday night observing too with my 6.2 inch apochromatic refractor. At 8.45 pm, I could a strange dark feature on Jupiter. It was the Moon itself Ganymede with the bright Equatorial Zone in the background. Then at 20.59, Ganymede began to appear away from Jupiter's western side. Truly spectacular! At 9.05 pm, a magnitude 2 satellite passed very closely west of Jupiter. I discovered on www.heavens-above.com , it was a military reconnaissance spacecraft USA 186. And then at 10.03 pm, I observed that large black shadow of Ganymede at 167X and 225X.

Aubrey.

I do remember seeing a bright object pass quickly through the field of view of my 8"SCT around 9pm last night. Must be that satellite.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds