Finally bagged M7:)

• Fermidox
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #104257 by Fermidox
Finally bagged M7:) was created by Fermidox
After several failures, this elusive target could finally be added to my list last night. At -34.8 S it's a real challenge from where I am at 52.3 N and even more so from higher up the country.

Even with several clear nights last week, a low haze clinging to the southern horizon had thwarted all attempts, although Kaus Australis at -34.4 showed up clearly 6 degrees to the east. But last night, despite scattered cloud elsewhere, the required patch of sky was clear and the great cluster showed up well in 15x70 binos.

The brighter members forming a distorted v-shape were visible, with the heavier concentration on the eastern wing also apparent. My viewing location was too awkward for setting up the scope, so had to make do with binos and a possible faint glimpse naked-eye; also my few dslr images didn't turn out great, due to skyglow from a distant town.

This is an anciently-known dso, mentioned by Ptolemy 1900 years ago and of course a spectacular sight from more favoured southerly skies. So I was glad to have added it as, fittingly, my 100th Messier object.

Clear skies,
Finbarr.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Fermidox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic_old, mykc, flt158, scfahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #104259 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Finally bagged M7:)
Good one Finbarr.

This is target number 1 on the Skelligs star party observing list, it will already be setting as darkness falls, just scraping the horizon.

Blink and you'll miss it.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by stevie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fermidox

More
8 years 10 months ago #104260 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Finally bagged M7:)
Well done Finbarr. I spend a couple of weeks in West Cork each year and generally get a couple of observing sessions, but I have never managed to see M7. Sounds like it's an a excellent target.

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fermidox

More
8 years 10 months ago #104262 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Finally bagged M7:)
Take a bow, Finbarr. Well done.

I only observed M7 once in my life with 10X50 binoculars. It was June 2001 when I saw it in the wonderful country of Zambia. Speaking of which the 14th anniversary is coming up. I observed the Total Solar Eclipse on June 21 of that year. So I have very fond memories of M7 and M6 in Scorpius.

Aubrey.

More
8 years 10 months ago #104267 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Finally bagged M7:)
I only saw it once, down at the Sugarloaf, John Flannery found it in his binos and it was barely visible above the hills to the south.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
8 years 10 months ago #104273 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Finally bagged M7:)
Hi guys, I have managed to see M7 through my binoculars a few times on summer evenings in the past, although it is very low from Ireland. It usually only gets as high as 3 or 4 degrees altitude from Ireland, and at my favourite astro site in Co. Waterford, I have a shot attached of the cluster here with M6 as a companion taken in 2006. It is a lovely sight on a really clear summer evening, with a beautiful arrangement of stars, but it has to be totally clear looking south.

Keith..
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Fermidox

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds