K-Tec

Venus-Jupiter Conjunction of June 30th/July 1st

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 8 months ago #104350 by Seanie_Morris
How did everyone fare on seeing these 2?

Spotted the pair first by naked eye, though difficult, at 20:37hrs, then with the 10 X 50 binos. THEN it was time to haul out the 12" Dob. Using the 26mm 2" eyepiece, that pair were nested nicely either side of the field of view (less than .4 of a degree). Venus was a sharp, quarter phase crescent, while Jupiter, though smaller, was also quite prominent despite the fact the Sun was still above horizon. 2 cloud belts were visible, but no Galilean moons were visible.

Couldn't use the camera at prime focus as the focuser on the SkyWatcher Dob protrudes the camera fucos to far out. :(

Lucky to spot this, as the clouds rolled in not long after.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #104351 by jeyjey
I got a nice naked-eye view, but it was behind the trees from the observatory.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

More
8 years 8 months ago #104352 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Venus-Jupiter Conjunction of June 30th/July 1st

How did everyone fare on seeing these 2?

Hi all,

I was driving back from Kilkenny and stopped a few times to look with the 10x50mm binoculars at the pairing. A lovely sight each time and more dramatic to the unaided eye as twilight deepened. I got home to Dublin after 11:15pm but the duo had disappeared behind the houses by then. Great to have had clear skies for the spectacle. Completely overcast in Dublin today.

Hope everyone had a good view of the two planets.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: lunartic_old

More
8 years 8 months ago #104353 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Venus-Jupiter Conjunction of June 30th/July 1st
A number of IAS members met in Sandymount and we viewed both from 9.30 to 10.30.

It was clear for most of the time with just a scattering of cloud disturbing the view for a few minutes at a time.

Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
8 years 8 months ago #104356 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Venus-Jupiter Conjunction of June 30th/July 1st
Yea, we got some fab views from 4.30 onwards through the observatory here,we could clearly see Venus in broad daylight when I knew where to look, I was able to get the 2 planets in the same fov easily. the belts were visible but no moons. the clouds came in around 7.30 and looking at the sat images, I could see that we were not going to see any more from Limerick, so off we took in the car and headed up the m7, it was well worth it as we got great views just before 11
Cloud has wiped us out this evening , so Im glad I made the effort to see this yesterday.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
8 years 8 months ago #104358 by flt158
Hello, all. Valerie and I enjoyed the conjunction of Venus and Jupiter on Tuesday night. My 158mm apo was very busy all evening with many passers-by stopping to have a look. They asked all sorts of questions -such as, how far are the 2 planets from us? So here were the facts I gave them:
Venus distance: 48 million miles.
Jupiter distance: 564,700,000 miles.
Venus illumination: 34% (crescent)
Venus diameter: 32 arc seconds.
Jupiter diameter: 32.5 seconds.

That last comparison will be a surprise to some. Venus's magnitude was -4.4, and even though Jupiter was significantly fainter at -1.8, both planets were almost identical in visual size in any telescope. The separation was 25 arc minutes -less than half a degree.

I observed both with a 28 mm 2" eyepiece which gave 40X. I could just about see 2 moons at the end. But I will not call a judgement as to which ones they were. The North Equatorial Belt and the South Equatorial Belt were both visible at this power.
Some people also love to hype up as to how often these conjunctions happen between Venus and Jupiter.
Well there was a good one last year in the morning. Very few saw it, one of our group from last night succeeded in observing it.
And the next one happens on Monday morning 26th October 2015, when Mars is also in the group. So that is less than 4 months away. Not so rare after all !!

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris, dave_lillis, michael_murphy, lunartic_old

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds