• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 8 months ago #104506 by lunartic_old
A Little Report From Clare was created by lunartic_old
Hi all

Last night was my last night in Bunratty, Co Clare with the family, and it was clear. :bigshock: Armed with my 10x50 binos I did a little observing.

I was delighted to see a pair of Perseids, one left a a beautiful long white trail a sit blazed through Cygnus, soon after a shorter member streaked in a similar direction. For those lucky enough to be down in Ballinskelligs for the Perseid shower I really hope you get clear skies as I can imagine the sky will be ablaze with meteors.

I observed the usual suspects, M57, M27, M29, M39, The Coathanger, M31, beautiful Cassopeia and the jewel of the autumn sky, The Double Cluster. Got M81 & M82, they were tough, M15 eluded me. The southern sky was blocked by the house and houses across the street, so that was lost to me. :( I could see the crowded region of the North America Nebula, though I could not definitely say that I observed it. The Double Double was easy, M56 was not seen, Albireo was eventually split with a lot of effort, lying on a bench for maximum stability.

At 1.26 a magnificent -7 iridium flare exploded in the vicinity of Altair, it was wonderful to observe as it grew in intensity to maximum, the darker site really enhanced the sight.

It began to get a little damp by this stage, dew was visible on the body of the binos and I called it a night.

It has whet my appetite for Ballinskelligs, time to pray to the weather gods for at least one good night. I look forward to seeing everyone next weekend.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris, mykc, scfahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds