• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 2 months ago #105365 by flt158
3 doubles and 3 triples was created by flt158
Good evening, all.
It seems we have a few clear skies for the week. So I wasted no time to set up my 158mm apochromatic refractor in my backyard on Monday night 11th January. My north is up and my east is to the right.
2 of the 3 doubles I observed are very well known: Albireo, Polaris
1. Albireo looks unusual during January -its B component is straight up and easily split at 11X and 40X. Colours are orange and blue.
2. At about 6 pm, the B companion of Polaris is located in the 1 o'clock position. Magnitudes 2 and 9.
3. But as the telescope was settling into its routine and the sky and getting darker and more transparent, I thought I should check out Mu Cygni once again. Its separation is just over 1.5 arc seconds with a PA of 322 degrees. I was wonderfully surprised to see the 2 stars almost split at 112X. So I was very impressed to see dark sky between A and B at a mere 140X. I usually require 167X. My thanks to Pat (Plough C) for recommending this one last autumn to us. The sky last night must have had excellent seeing despite some annoying wind.

On now to my 3 triples: 14 Aurigae, Iota Cassiopeiae and Psi Cassiopeiae.

4. What a real test 14 Aurigae truly is. A and C are easy with their magnitudes 5 and 7.3 both viewed at 40X. C though is very tough to see. Its magnitude is 10.9 and is closer at 9.8 arc seconds than A and B's 13.9" separation. The primary star has quite a glare around it at 167X. But I did have some moments seeing C. The PA angles are 11 degrees and 223 degrees. So that is 2 'clock and 9 o'clock in my apo. I note that Sissy Haas states that the B star is not visible in a 125 mm scope -so it is a big test for medium size apertures.
5. Iota Cassiopeiae is simply a beautiful triple star. I am on my knees with my refractor for this one -it is very high up in altitude at about 9 pm. A is 4.6, B 6.9, and C 9.1. Their separations are 2.6 and 7 arc seconds. Position Angles are 228 and 116 degrees. At 112X, I see all 3 stars and they are most delightful from this power upwards.
6. So as promised, I was very keen to observe Psi Cassiopeiae. It was certainly worth it. This is my first observation of it and I star hopped to its location very easily. It is only about 5 or 6 degrees from Iota. Psi's magnitudes are 4.7, 9.2 and 10. I viewed all 3 stars at 140X and 167X. There is no problem seeing A and C separated. (The B component is too faint and too close to A). They are 20 seconds apart. The real fun is seeing C and D split only 2.3 " apart. The PA is 250 degrees. They do have an independent Struve designation: Stf 117. Why not check it out?

Thank you for reading.

Clear skies,
Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Fermidox

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #105366 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic 3 doubles and 3 triples
Aubrey, I don't think I've ever split Rigel as effortlessly as tonight, seeing was exceptional there for a while. The Trapezium was also sparkling and I got a good look at Hind's famous Crimson Star. A pleasure to finally get some observing amidst the endless cloud.

Finbarr.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 2 months ago #105369 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic 3 doubles and 3 triples
Well done on splitting Rigel, Finbarr. What magnification did you use? I usually need 112X.

Hind's Crimson Star is a wonderful carbon star that is variable too. Perhaps you might give an estimate of its magnitude next time. Perhaps it is also your 1st carbon star.

Aubrey.

More
8 years 2 months ago #105373 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic 3 doubles and 3 triples
I was using 160X Aubrey but it was that clear I'm sure I could have managed it with less. I was even tempted to try Sirius and the Pup but being 8 degrees lower it was shimmering furiously, so no luck there.

I wasn't bowled over by the Crimson star to be honest, it's currently around mag 8 but is actually supposed to get redder as it fades. Z Piscium is still my favourite carbon star.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #105375 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic 3 doubles and 3 triples
Good reports as always guys.

I just thought you might be interested in this. Both my mate Mark and I have taken a notion in recent months to acquire some orthoscopic eyepieces. I have bought an 18mm Astro Hutech, a 9mm Astro Hutech and a 7mm Celestron, all second hand for a song. Mark bought a new 10mm Baader.

With the weather having been so poor in recent times, I haven't really had a chance to use them, but early last Saturday morning was quite clear, so I decided to take the dob out the back, just to try and see some photons. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I ended up having a look at Beta Monocerotis using the 9mm. and the view was really good, with the three components split very nicely. The seeing wasn't great, and the light pollution was as bad as always, but I was really pleased with the performance of the eyepiece. I then had a look at Gamma Leonis, and again, the view was very nice. Usually I see these this pair as almost equal, but this time, one of the stars was distinctly more "golden" than the other.
Jupiter was also well seen, with one of the Moons very close to the planet. the view of the planet in the 7mm Celestron was also good. I barlowed the 9mm with my TAL 2x, just to see what would happen. The view wasn't great, but it was obvious that, with better conditions, this combo could definitely give results.

I'm really looking forward to trying these eyepieces in the Nexstar 6, so hopefully it won't be very long before I get the chance
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by stevie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 2 months ago #105384 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic 3 doubles and 3 triples

Fermidox wrote: I was using 160X Aubrey but it was that clear I'm sure I could have managed it with less. I was even tempted to try Sirius and the Pup but being 8 degrees lower it was shimmering furiously, so no luck there.

I wasn't bowled over by the Crimson star to be honest, it's currently around mag 8 but is actually supposed to get redder as it fades. Z Piscium is still my favourite carbon star.

No - I have never sighted the Pup either, Finbarr.

Some time soon, I aim to view carbon star U Camelopardalis near the celestial north pole.

Aubrey.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds