• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 1 month ago #105545 by flt158
Good evening, all.
Please let me share with you the highlights of my own personal observations that I had on the nights of February 22nd and 23rd.
1. Meissa (Lambda Orionis): I could see all 5 components at 112X. The magnitudes are 3.5, 5.5, 10.7, 9.6 and 9.2. The separations were 4.4, 29.3, 78.5 and 151 arc seconds. A and B are stunning to behold.
2. Rigel (Beta Orionis). A is +0.3, B is 6.8. The separation is 9.5". The PA is 202 degrees. It is as splendid as ever at 112X.
3. Back in 2012, Pat (Plough C) encouraged me to observe Eta Orionis. Well split it I did on Monday night at 167X and was mightily impressed. Both components have a slight yellow tinge. A is 3.6, B is 4.9. I was nearly splitting it at 140X and it looked wonderful at 225X too. I am also impressed that Eta Orionis has a name. It is Algjebba which means "Shield". It is a new favourite of mine and it is a true binary. I certainly will look at it again. Separation: 1.8". PA: 77 degrees. So my thanks to Pat for informing me about Algjebba.
4. Aries is now in the western sky, and I did separate Mesarthim (Gamma Arietis) at only 40X. A and B are almost identical in magnitude: 4.5 and 4.6. The separation is 7.4". PA is 1 degree.
5. However I was keen to seek out the only carbon star in Aries which is nearby. It is V Arietis. I must say it does have a nice orange colour that is easily noticed. I estimate its magnitude as 8.5 and it is my 38th observed carbon star. It is part of a zigzag pattern of 4 stars.
6. Who can resist the triple star Tegmine (Zeta Cancri)? I observe it every year at this time positioned near M44 Beehive Cluster. A and B are getting slightly easier to split at 167X. The magnitudes are 5.3 and 6.3. C is 5.9. All 3 are simply stunning at 225X. The separations are 1.1 and 5.9 arc seconds. Why not give it a go?
7. Algieba (Gamma Leonis) is now on view and is easily split at 112X. Both stars are yellow. Their magnitudes are 2.4 and 3.6. Its separation is 4.7" and the PA is 127 degrees.
8. Finally on Monday night, I viewed the nearby Full (Hunger) Moon which was very bright at 40X in my 158mm apo. So I wondered what should I study instead of all the features I normally do? It occurred to me that I should look at the smaller dark areas. On the western side it was easy to pick out Grimaldi and Riccioli followed by Schickard and small Lehmann. It is fitting that Grimaldi and Riccioli are positioned side by side. In real life, Grimaldi was Riccioli's predecessor as the author of a lunar atlas. Their diameters are 430 and 146 kilometres respectively. Schickard looked quite spooky. It looked dark with a shiny streak going through it. Lehmann is attached to it and is much smaller. Their diameters are 227 and 53 kilometres. In history, Schickard was the first astronomer who attempted to determine the path of a meteor by observing from different observing sites. What a clever man!
9. On Tuesday night, I observed 7 first time objects in Taurus and Auriga. The first was double star Stta 66 Tauri. Both are orange and are situated beside 132 Tauri. Magnitudes: 7 and 7.8 with a separation of 94" and a PA of 168 degrees. My guidescope at 11X was sufficient in seeing this pair. The colours were distinctive at 40X in the main scope.
10. The 39th carbon star I have observed is nearby TU Tauri. It has a magnitude of 8.2 and is orange alright.
11. Also on my Guide 8 map, the 2 open star clusters Ngc 1807 and Ngc 1817 were positioned nearby. Even at 112X, they were both visible side by side. They both have about 20 stars each. Perhaps if I had less light pollution and no bright Moon, I would have seen more stars. But I enjoyed them nonetheless.
12. 118 Tauri is a delightful double star. It is a very tight split at 40X in a north south direction. A is 5.8, B is 6.7. The separation is 4.8 and the PA is 209 degrees. A had a blue tint.
13. I then went up to Auriga and split 26 Aurigae. A is 5.5, B is 8.4. Its separation is 12" and the PA is 269 degrees. I split at 40X and 112X.
14. The double star Stf 764 is nearby. A is 6.4, B is 7.1. The separation is 26" and its PA is 14 degrees. Split at 11X, 40X and 112X.
15. My final object is my 40th observed carbon star. It is close by. It does have the unfortunate designation of FU Aurigae. It is a short distance north of SAO 58451. I must return to his area again soon. Both these stars are orange and 58451 is a Struve double star. So watch this space.
My observations were cut short suddenly at 10 pm as the final episode of the X -files was on the TV.

The 3 carbon stars are listed in the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada Observer's Handbook for 2016.

Thank you for reading and clear skies to all.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic_old, johnomahony, Mike, ploughc, Fermidox

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #105551 by ploughc
Replied by ploughc on topic Observations on 22nd + 23rd February 2016
Hello Aubrey, thats a nice list of doubles you observed over two nights, I am glad you like Eta Orionis
its one of my favourites looking at my notes I split it on the 15 January with me 165X it was just touching
at 275X well split. Another double I like is 52 Orion just south west ofBetelgeuse, I find this double more
difficult than Eta magnitudes of 5.99 6.03 sep. 1.02" in my notes I say almost split at 275X maybe a
better night would help. 33 Orionis is also a lovely double mags. 6 7.5 primary white secondary blue
white. If you have not already have a look at those two next clear night.

Pat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 1 month ago #105553 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Observations on 22nd + 23rd February 2016
Great to hear from you once again, Pat.
According to my notes, I have split 52 Orionis at 320X in the past. But I will try it again using a lower power. It is the same story with 32 Orionis -320X required. I have also greatly enjoyed splitting 33 Orionis at 140X too.

I will try all these once more soon. I am very pleased with your observation of Eta Orionis. Thank you so much for encouraging me to observe it. I do like its name Algjebba.

Clear skies to you, Pat.

Aubrey.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds