• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 1 month ago #105626 by lunartic_old
Lightning on the Moon was created by lunartic_old
Hi all

I'm just out observing the moon at the moment, I am looking at the northern section of Mare Serenitatis, there is a feature, a cliff or dorsa, that is striking down from the Caucasus Mountains onto the mare that is shaped like a lightning bolt. There is a well defined shadow that gives it the obvious shape, anyone else notice this?

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #105629 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Lightning on the Moon
Hi Paul.
I was studying the Moon tonight Monday.

Is it west of the large crater Posidonius?

What map is it in Antonin Rukl's Books?

Aubrey.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #105630 by Kinch
Replied by Kinch on topic Lightning on the Moon
I was also looking at the moon tonight - took a shot....must have been around the same time as you were looking Paul. Probably a slightly different angle from SE Spain so don't think I picked up what you were noticing.
Image is at... www.kinchastro.com/waxing-moon.html

Brendan.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Kinch.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #105631 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Lightning on the Moon
Nicely spotted Paul. It was still prominent when I got the scope on it around 2230. In the image below P is Posidonius, Aubrey and A is Aristoteles, with the lightning bolt circled. The moon was 5 days 21 hrs at this point.

Finbarr.

Edit: Just seen your post there Brendan, maybe it's a special feature only visible from Ireland :)
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Fermidox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lunartic_old, flt158

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 1 month ago #105632 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Lightning on the Moon
It's one of the great things about observing the moon, is the sighting of unusual features, many of them only visible at a certain time in the lunar cycle.

I have been neglecting the moon of late, :blush: shame on me, I spent a lot of time studying the dorsae in Mare Serenitatis, the effect of waves on a sea are easy to imagine. I was also looking south, the Rupes Altai region is a great area to study, Rabbi Levi is a fascinating crater, it is so reminiscent of Clavius with a string of craters within the main crater, I could see all five.

I don't have Rukl, Aubrey, I use the following that I downloaded onto my computer.
www.astronomylogs.com/pages/moon.html
The southern highlands were always a confusing area of the moon for me, with this map I find it easier to navigate around this region.

The moon was soon eclipsed by the house and I moved onto other observing targets.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
8 years 1 month ago #105634 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Lightning on the Moon
Hello, all.
Thank you, Fermidox Kinch and Paul.
I have just discovered that the featured image is on Map 13 of Rukl's book and unfortunately, it has no name.
However on Monday night, I did observe very large Dorsums and a few majestic rilles. The dorsums were Azara, Lister, Smirnov, and Aldrovandi. The rilles were Rimae Plinius and Rima Posidonius -the latter I had never seen in all my days. It was truly spectacular.
Also Rimae Burg was a first time observation for me. Initially I thought this was what Paul had seen. I desperately tried to observe Rima Daniell and the diminutive crater Abetti which is right next to Mon Argaeus. But it was to no avail.
One other feature I should mention was my first time observation of the crater Clerke. This is named after Mary Agnes Clerke who hailed from Skibereen County Kerry. It was she who thought that R Leporis is the reddest star in the entire heavens! The crater is 7 kilometres wide and 1430 metres deep.
I shall remember my observations of the Moon March 14th 2016 for quite a few things; not least for Rima Posidonius.
This was truly a night to remember!
I will record other observations later on.

Clear skies to all.

Aubrey.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds