• Calibos
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
9 years 3 days ago #103752 by Calibos
Should I sell my gear? was created by Calibos
Long time no chat lads and lassie's : cheer:

House move, renovation and some health issues made me drop off the radar for years. Haven't observed in years other than the eclipses. Invested a lot in gear thats just gathered dust. For example I bought a stellarcat drive for my 16" Meade Lightbridge dob in 2009 that I never got around to fitting. I was mid mod so rendered the scope unusable until finished and circumstances prevented that from ever happening. Crikey its nearly 6 years!!

I let the lot gather dust but hoped that I'd eventually have the time and energy to get back to it but its at least 4 years since I last even moved it at this stage.

I've not totally given up hope of ever observing again because things have improved a good bit but I don't think I can accept some of the high value stuff just sitting there unused year after year when I could use the money elsewhere.

For example, I've got all Ethos EP's and a 31mm Nagler (except the 4.7mm Ethos) and I have used them 'ONCE' in 4 years since I got them. On the one hand I am reticent to sell them despite that because I'll never afford them again should I have the time or energy to get back observing in the future. On the other hand, is it right that nearly €5500 worth of EP's is sitting in a case figuratively not literally gathering dust?

If I were to sell some or all, given they are effectively brand new and unused, how much should I sell them for?? Is now a good time to sell with the current exchange rates or would I be better holding off longer. Maybe I should wait till I finally get the 16" Dob usable again and finally fit the servocat drive (been saying that for years though), Get out on a few observing sessions with both and then decide whether my enthusiasm is renewed and keep the lot or accept I don't have enough enthusiasm anymore and its not likely coming back and sell the whole lot, Scope, drive, Eyepieces, the lot!

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm
The following user(s) said Thank You: scfahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 days ago #103754 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Should I sell my gear?
Hi Keith

It's been a while alright.

For what it's worth, here's my opinion, feel free to tell me to get stuffed. :D

Over the years I have also fallen out of love with observing, at this moment I have no observing equipment, concentrating on the photography end of things. I have always gone back, after selling all my gear and had to buy new gear, something I like doing. ;)

Perhaps you can sell the scope and servo cat, keep the eyepieces and buy a smaller scope like a four inch refractor on an alt-az mount, perfect for grab and go, easier to get out without lugging around too much gear when the mood arises.

I know you are in a tricky situation and no decision will be easy.

Hope to see you again soon.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Calibos

More
9 years 2 days ago #103755 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Should I sell my gear?
Hi Keith,

Long time no see,

How long do you think it would take to complete the mod to the lightbridge?
If having a few more hands would speed things I'm willing to lend a hand.

michael.

More
9 years 2 days ago #103759 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Should I sell my gear?
Hi Keith,

Nice to see you back. :)

Micheal's suggestion is a nice one. Paul's is wise, but unpractical for going in and out of the hobby! (sorry Paul!). Although I would expand on that and aim for even a 6 inch refractor. It will obviously be heavier and a bit bulkier, but the views would be stunning.

Other than that, you can use my shed rent-free to put the gear, including the eyepieces, into it. I will only have one condition... ;)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
9 years 2 days ago #103761 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Should I sell my gear?
That's just me Seanie :laugh:

Michael's idea is first class, and I'm sure that Keith would have no end of people willing to lend a hand.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris, Calibos, scfahy

• Calibos
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
8 years 11 months ago #103906 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Should I sell my gear?
Thanks for the kind words and offers lads. Sorry I didn't post back sooner. Tried to log in a few days ago and the website was down.

Its not so much observers fatigue or funk, but pulling myself together and getting the job started funk. I'm sure once I start working on the scope again I'll wonder what stopped me getting stuck in and get really into it again. The observing will then follow. The big modding job I set for myself with all its replacement base shrinking and lightening, counterweight eliminating and hybrid String Truss/Skywatcher Flextube goodness will ultimately mean a big scope thats a breeze to transport and setup and teardown.

I'll get there eventually, hopefully before Jupiter is back in Sagittarius ~:D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds