• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #105612 by lunartic_old
Solar filter question. was created by lunartic_old
Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me which is the better material for a solar filter, one made from glass or one made from film? Or is there any real difference? I'm getting back into solar observing, currently I use a homemade filter with material from Baader and I'm thinking would a glass filter offer better views.

Thanks folks

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #105613 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Solar filter question.
From what I have read, the film gives better contrast in general but the glass lasts a lot longer. I picked up a glass filter for my 90mm mak recently and was asking the same question.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by johnomahony.

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #105615 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Solar filter question.
When I'm observing, the sun looks to have a halo around it, not a crisp border, now the film I'm using is not new, it has been recycled from another homemade filter and I'm wondering if this is as a result of the filter or the scope, a slt 102. This is what makes me think it's the filter, what do you think?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #105616 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Solar filter question.

lunartic wrote: When I'm observing, the sun looks to have a halo around it, not a crisp border, now the film I'm using is not new, it has been recycled from another homemade filter and I'm wondering if this is as a result of the filter or the scope, a slt 102. This is what makes me think it's the filter, what do you think?

It is probably the filter. The plastic is tough but over time it most likely will develop a slight haze.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
The following user(s) said Thank You: lunartic_old

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #105619 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Solar filter question.
I bought a thousand oaks t2 full aperture solar filter nearly 10 years ago, still works fine, no halo's or internal reflections, gives a nice yeallow sun image.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds