Mak Attack !!

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
6 years 2 months ago #106958 by johnomahony
Mak Attack !! was created by johnomahony
I finally pressed the button and bought yet another scope. I am now the proud owner of both the 90mm and 127mm Skywatcher Maks (the 127mm being my latest acquisition).

I had owned the 90mm for about three years and found that it was by far my most used scope. Perfect for popping outside between breaks in the clouds or before leaving for work in the morning. Up and ready to use in 30 seconds. Great views of the moon , planets and brighter DSOs'. I have it mounted on an old EQ1 that had been lying around unused for 10 years.I put a motor drive on it and bought a solar filter - it is a fantastic all round scope which takes great pictures of the sun and moon with its integrated T2 adapter.

I was looking for a bit more aperture but still a grab and go scope. I thought about getting a large achromat (127mm). An ED Apo would have been nice but outside my budget. The minimun spend on an ED scope around 4 inches is about 1000 Euro for a decent one. Maybe next time ! I still have a 4" triplet on my bucket list.

I ordered the 127mm. At the prices they are going for they look like great value. I have only had a chance to test it between breaks in the clouds this weekend. It looks pretty sharp. The real test will be on the moon and Jupiter when the weather breaks. I have it on my old Skywatcher AZ4 mount which handles it well. (It is heavier than I thought). Its a nice portable option with a 30 second set up time outside. I can see it being my most used scope.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #106959 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Mak Attack !!
Recently got once of these myself, it is excellent on the moon, haven't had the chance to try it on the planets. It works great on double stars too.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnomahony

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
6 years 1 month ago #106985 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Mak Attack !!
I managed to get a good look at the moon this weekend. Seriously impressed with the sharpness.

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/26611867748/in/dateposted-

Canon 450d at the prime focus

The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
5 years 5 months ago #107407 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Mak Attack !!
I have been using the Skywatcher 127mm mak for about 8 months now. I am very impressed with the sharpness. It works great on the planets, moon and double stars.It also gives nice views of the brighter clusters and nebulae with a 32mm eyepiece installed. The AZ4 mount I am using works absolutely fine even at high magnifications. This is my new grab and go scope. I can be outside in 30 seconds ready to observe between breaks in the clouds at a moments notice. It also takes good photos of the moon and just frames a full moon nicely on a crop frame sensor. The eyepiece holder is already threaded to accept a T-adapter, so its really solid.
At less than €300 and giving almost APO like images, it is a real bargain.
An 8" Dob is probably more versatile, but if you are looking for something additional with great optics and no set up time, this is one to consider.

More
5 years 5 months ago #107412 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Mak Attack !!
I have the same scope, John. It's a lovely compact scope and the views are razor sharp. Used with my binoviewers, the moon takes on a totally different aspect.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnomahony

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds