K-Tec

New Telescope, budget 2000 euros. some advice please.

More
11 years 11 months ago #93795 by StephenK
I have the 12" GSO one for my own use, I bought it when they were branded 'Revelation' a few years back.

The one I have is not a truss tube, so is a good bit more unwieldy,. and also the cool down times are long enough, even with the fan.

They are big and heavy, and as you say,they are at the limit of portability (for most people). Rocker box first, scope later, and have a clear pathway :laugh:

But the views are super!

I have never had any need for dew shields or anything like that, and its about the perfect height for me (5 10).

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie
www.facebook.com/ktectelescopes
www.twitter.com/ktectelescopes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #93796 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: New Telescope, budget 2000 euros. some advice please.
Dave,
Glad to see you read the book.
In terms of scopes, a dob will give you the best aperture for your money.
If you are interested in seeing what a 12" dob looks and feels like, come on over to the next MAC meeting in Tullamore.
The club owns a 12" dob. Members are welcome to borrow it.

• manic_dave
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 11 months ago #93800 by manic_dave
Thanks Michael, ill ask Seanie on Saturday night about it.

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.

More
11 years 11 months ago #93803 by johnomahony

manic_dave wrote: Well my thinking has changes quite a bit in the last week.

Thanks to some advice on here, reading most of a book recommended by Michael O'Connell, thanks again Michael. ( got the book on line for my Kindle )

I was far to ambitious to be trying to get deep into astro photography, I would not have a. the time b. the money and c. the commitment to stack hours of frames to create images akin to Hubble!

My ambitions are much smaller. Id be happy to take a few shots of some stars at eyepiece projection or prime on a large telescope, just so I can show people what Im looking at.

After seeing a few different scopes over the past few weeks, I have decided that its more important to me to see further and clearer that it is to recreate an image.

With that in mind, I have turned my attention away from Imaging Newts and toward maximising the aperture I can get from my budget.

And all roads are leading to Dobs!

I see a very nice on on TS

www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_inf...-GoTo-Dobsonian.html

This is well inside budget and allow me to get a few nice eyepieces and accessories to go with it.

I am looking at this one, because on many reviews online, any bigger ( the 14” up ) simply moving it is a nightmare. Also as I stand at 5’8”, I should be able to see into the eyepiece with no problems.

Does anyone have experience of this scope? I have read some fine reviews online mainly from the USA, but I have some questions that are more local.

Firstly, should I get a dew collar, or is this only necessary in more humid climes?

A nice 12" Dob and two or three wide angle eyepieces by Al Nagler and you can't go wrong.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

• manic_dave
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 11 months ago #93805 by manic_dave
Nagler wow 300 euro plus on an eyepice !

are they really worth it?

I was looking at the GSO range, read some good reviews.

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #93806 by lunartic_old

Nagler wow 300 euro plus on an eyepice !

are they really worth it?

Yes. :D

When I had a 12" dob I used Naglers and the stars were sharp to the very edge of the the field, no seagulling, no kidney beaning, just perfect pinpoints of light.

In fast scopes inferior eyepieces will begin to break down as they approach the edge of the field of view and you will find your view restricted to a central portion of the field. The Naglers give an 82 degree field of view and it feels like you're falling through the eyepiece.

One other consideration in buying premium eyepieces is that they hold their value, if you come to sell them in years to come you will get a good price for them.

Nagler wow 300 euro plus on an eyepice

If you go on sites such as Astromart, Astrobuysell, Cloudynights, etc. you can pick them up for much less, I had bought from the States on a number of occasions and if you ask the seller to put a lower value on the package you can avoid import duties and taxes.

P.S. Don't tell Michael Noonan. ;)

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by lunartic_old.
The following user(s) said Thank You: manic_dave

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds