Dome Automation

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #96208 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Dome Automation

paddyman wrote: Well done!!. Great to hear it all came together for you. If you had to do it again would you go the route you did or buy a complete kit from Exploradome?

Good question.
As I have a 16" SCT, an 8ft dome is not big enough. While the Paramnount ME and the 16" SCT would fit inside the dome, the hatch would be too narrow. Same is true of other 8ft domes I have seen on the market. The majority of domes are 8ft so anything above that carries a premium due to cost of materials and quantities sold.

At the time I bought my dome, the Explardome II was not developed, Scopedome didn't exist and the Pulsar Observatories drive system wasn't up to much as it was not computer controlled.

Nowadays, to buy the Exploradome II with automation would cost over $14k + shipping + taxes, which all-in is in the region of €15k.
For comparison, the 3m Scopedome with automation from Poland would cost approx €10k all-in.

I have spent €7k on the dome and the automation system, so it has worked out a good bit cheaper.
I have also learned a lot about electronics.
Downside of course is that to learn how to automate it has taken a great deal of time and effort.
My complete lack of knowledge on all matters electronics-related was a major hinderence.
Now that I know how it's all done, I could do it a second time much easier and quicker.
No plans for that though! ;-)
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by michaeloconnell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #96301 by Tianman
Replied by Tianman on topic Re: Dome Automation
I am very impressed with your observatory. That's some nice work michaeloconnell. I would love to someday construct my own. I am currently attempting to construct my own 16" Dobs. It sounds like you had an educational experience building it too. Well done. I salute you sir.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 2 months ago #96311 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Dome Automation
Thanks Tianman.

I bought ACP software this evening.
ACP is a great software tool.
I now have the dome, telescope and CCD camera working off the one piece of software.
The weather sensor is now also linked in to make it a nice complete package.

Michael.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds