K-Tec

Metal object seen floating away from Shuttle Discovery

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 years 10 months ago #69581 by Seanie_Morris
NASA engineers were trying to identify an object that floated away from Discovery and were analyzing a protrusion found on its rudder Friday, a day before the space shuttle was scheduled to land.
art.shuttle.ap.jpg

The shuttle's heat shield has been given a preliminary thumbs up for the return trip to Earth.

The two issues were noticed after a routine test of the spacecraft's flight control systems and steering jets.

The astronauts reported to Mission Control that they observed a rectangular object, about 1 to 1½ feet long, floating away from the tail of the shuttle around the right wing.

Full story from cnn.com

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #69597 by dave_lillis
Could it have been a waste dump, they were having problems with toilets up there :wink: :lol:

Did you read about the 5300 bricks that got blown off the launchpad during takeoff??, they're used to deflect the rocket exhaust. It's amazing that they were surprised it happened, they were installed in the 1960 so they lasted 50+ years, not a bad lifespan for a wall that is getting blasted by a rocket every now and then.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 10 months ago #69617 by Petermark

they were installed in the 1960 so they lasted 50+ years

I learned in infant class that " A h'aon agus a h'aon sinn a do".

There are "Adult Numeracy Classes" available for those who are in dire need of them.

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

More
15 years 10 months ago #69631 by dave_lillis
oops, 40+ years. Nothing gets by you Peter.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 years 10 months ago #69652 by Seanie_Morris
Aparently, it is not as bad as was thought:

The debris spotted floating away from space shuttle Discovery has been preliminarily identified as a thermal clip from the shuttle's brake system, NASA said Friday. The shuttle's heat shield has been given a preliminary thumbs up for the return trip to Earth. Also, lighting conditions tricked astronauts into thinking there was a "bump" along the edge of the shuttle's rudder, agency officials added.

It is not immediately clear why the thermal clip fell off the shuttle. The clip -- one of three on the rudder speed brake -- protects the brake during launch and ascent. The problem will not affect Saturday's planned landing, NASA spokesman Rob Navias said.

cnn news update .

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
15 years 10 months ago #69662 by pj30something

Aparently, it is not as bad as was thought:

Also, lighting conditions tricked astronauts into thinking there was a "bump" along the edge of the shuttle's rudder, agency officials added.

Seanie.

Yeah i saw images on tv yesterday and it did look like there was damage to the rudder.

Glad to hear they THINK it may not be so.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds