New version of SkySafari available

• donalmcnamara
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
8 years 3 months ago #105229 by donalmcnamara
New version of SkySafari available was created by donalmcnamara
Hard to find anything to post about these days, but for those of you into Phone Tablet Apps SkySafari Pro has just been released for the Apple eco system only. Initial reviews on Cloudy Nights are good.
Regards
Donal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #105237 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic New version of SkySafari available
Yes Donal I had seen that. I currently use sky safari 4 pro which I find very good. I did'nt bother withvrheclatest version as it already has most of what I need, but it is on special half price at the moment, a nice Christmas present for somebody

• donalmcnamara
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
8 years 2 months ago #105275 by donalmcnamara
Replied by donalmcnamara on topic New version of SkySafari available
For anyone that's interested, the Basic Sky Safari 5 is now available on the iTunes Store - and it's free through New Years Day 2016!

See blurb below from the developer:
Note I have no commercial interest with these folks. Just passing on an offer.

When I say "free" I mean "free" - as in, it will cost zero to purchase and install it on as many iOS devices as you own, for the next 3 days (or so).
Keep in mind this is the basic version, which has a simplified planetarium interface, no telescope control, and orbit mode available through in-app purchase. Most of you probably already have the Plus or Pro version, so you didn't miss out on a deal. (And SkySafari 5 Plus/Pro are still on sale at 50% off regular price.)

This is the introductory version, perfect for beginners in astronomy, or anyone else who might like a flavor of our apps. Please feel free to check it out and review yourself! Feel free to pass the word on to whomever you choose.

Here's a link to SkySafari 5 (basic version) on the iTunes Store, now free thru Jan 1st, 2016:

itunes.apple.com/us/app/skysafari-5/id1055698767?mt=8

Happy New Year, and clear skies!

-Tim

More
8 years 2 months ago #105281 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic New version of SkySafari available
Donal is right, I have the pro version of this, the free version is actually quite good, don't be sill and miss out ! B)

Keith.

• donalmcnamara
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
3 years 10 months ago #108915 by donalmcnamara
Replied by donalmcnamara on topic New version of SkySafari available
Time to update this forum. 4 years and 4 months is too long a gap for a post.

Have been a happy user of this setup with my SXW Sphinx mount with original Starbook 1 controller using a first generation Apple Airport Express for a long time now. As a lock down project I wanted to get a router that did not require a mains supply (even for viewing in the garden) as everything else is powered by a single battery now. Following advice from the folks in Cloudy Nights I obtained a TP- Link Nano Router (delivered to the house for about €30). It lives up to its name of Nano with dimensions of 5.5 cm by 5.5 cm by 2 cm - smaller than the plug of the Airport Express!  300 Mbps speed for the techies and it comes with an AC power adapter too. Configured it as a Client and I could not believe how fast and responsive the entire system is now.  No Wifi dropouts, can multitask on the tablet, and no issue re connecting to Sky Safari after the tablet hibernated.
So for those of you with +15 year old routers, it may be worth thinking about upgrading soon.
Donal
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
3 years 10 months ago #108931 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic New version of SkySafari available
Hi Donal,

Sounds like you have found a nice piece of kit there. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Keep us posted, and clear skies,

Darren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: donalmcnamara

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds