K-Tec

Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016

• Seanie_Morris
  • Seanie_Morris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 9 months ago #105101 by Seanie_Morris
Seanie_Morris created the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
You are invited to submit an image to go on national display at the Botanical Gardens, Dublin next February 2016!

Here is an opportunity for astrophotographers in Ireland to showcase their work, presenting the wonders of the Cosmos at the Botanical Gardens in an exclusive exhibit in a collaboration between the Irish Astronomical Society ( www.irishastrosoc.org ) and the Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies ( www.irishastronomy.org ), which includes members of its member clubs.

The Details
Irish astrophotographers are invited to submit an image to be showcased to the public as part of a display highlighting the wonders of the Universe for a limited time from February 2nd to 21st 2016. The Botanical Gardens in Dublin has freely allowed the use of their lobby to display 100 images mounted for display, and incorporate additional items like (a limited number of) telescopes, large format poster displays and more.

The Criteria
Your photo can be submitted in digital or printed format. The following are guidelines:

1. Digital prints must be at 300dpi and in its largest format aspect ratio.
2. TIFF format is preferred, or high resolution (300dpi) JPEG is also allowed (RGB or CMYK is allowed).
3. Physical prints must be of a high quality (uncurled or folded) and can have a gloss or matte finish. Do not send mounted prints.
4. All photos will be fitted in an A3 mount and frame, and therefore may be subjected to cropping, if necessary.
5. All images submitted MUST have information about how the image was taken (equipment, location, software and techniques used, etc.), information about the object(s) shown, and the photographer's information.

Interested?
Digital images can be sent via email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as an attachment (do not include off-site links to images), while postal images are to be sent to Botanical Exhibition ℅ Seanie Morris, Anstee, Daingean Road, Tullamore, Co. Offaly.

CLOSING DATE
All considerations must be received by Friday January 8th 2016.

Please Note
- If submitting a printed photo, it cannot be returned. Images supplied DO NOT become the property of the Irish Astronomical Society or the Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies, and copies and prints will be discarded after the exhibition (unless otherwise stated, whereupon the photographer will be contacted accordingly).
- Photos submitted may become part of any promotional campaign to be used in print format and in online news sources and social media specific to this exhibition.
- The organisers and their affiliated clubs (IAS, IFAS, or other) are not responsible for lost postal submissions, lost or misdirected emails (an autoresponder will confirm your email's arrival), or incorrect information supplied.

Want to help out?
The exhibition itself will be manned by volunteers from day to day. Do you think you would like to give a day of your time to act as a sort of exhibition administrator and tour guide? Then please let us know!

Good luck, and thank you,

Seanie Morris,
IFAS Chairperson
(and sent on behalf of the Irish Astronomical Society).

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnomahony, mamiya645, Kinch, Bruno, yohan, Joergn, scfahy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #105104 by mamiya645
mamiya645 replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Seanie,

This is great!

Can I just quibble one thing in the rules, though: "All photos will be fitted in an A3 mount and frame, and therefore may be subjected to cropping, if necessary".

Now if there's one thing about us (astro)photographers, it's that our final aspect ratios are sacrosanct. We compose per the camera format - or some pre-conceived cropping of that format - and the most common formats are 3:2, 4:3, and 1:1 square. Square cameras in particular are quite common now in astrophotography. None of these formats is an exact match to A3 (1:√2)...4:3 comes closest but it still requires cropping.

And then you have the stitchers and mosaicers...whose work leads to even more diverse and non-standard final aspect ratios.

Can you imagine a gallery owner saying to Ansel Adams - "I love your 'Moon Over Half Dome', but I'm just going to crop 20% off the bottom of it so that it fits the frame I have in stock"?!

So could I request that you allow a selection of frame aspect ratios for the astrophotography exhibition?

Or failing that - if A3 is the only framing possible -, could I suggest that you replace the cropping rule with one along the lines of this:

"If you wish to submit an image in an aspect ratio other than A3 (1:√2) and not have it cropped by us, then pad it out to 1:√2 dimensions by adding a border of black, grey or white pixels as you see fit".

Cheers,
Ray

"...we get to make it with hot alien babes. And, after all, whenever man has looked to the stars, isn't that what he always dreamed about?"
- Futurama [loosely quoted from memory, but I love it for its dismissal of traditional astronomical platitudes]

More
1 year 9 months ago #105105 by yohan
yohan replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Nice one! Ill make sure to send something Seanie!

More
1 year 9 months ago #105125 by johnomahony
johnomahony replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Image sent !

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
1 year 9 months ago #105136 by Bruno
Bruno replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Just submitted 3 images :-)

John

John
IAS

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills

More
1 year 8 months ago #105158 by yohan
Submitted 2 images just now!

More
1 year 8 months ago #105163 by Keith g
Keith g replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Yep me too, I emailed a few off. Out of curiosity, did any of you get a confirmation email? I did for my first submission, but none of the others?

Keith..

If a telescope can fit into your backyard it's too small. If you can't move it, it's too big." -- John Dobson

More
1 year 8 months ago #105164 by yohan

Keith g wrote: Yep me too, I emailed a few off. Out of curiosity, did any of you get a confirmation email? I did for my first submission, but none of the others?

Keith..

Only sent one email and got some form of autoreply

More
1 year 8 months ago #105165 by Bruno

yohan wrote:

Keith g wrote: Yep me too, I emailed a few off. Out of curiosity, did any of you get a confirmation email? I did for my first submission, but none of the others?

Keith..

Only sent one email and got some form of autoreply

No problem guys, we received all of your submissions. Thank You.

John

John
IAS

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills

More
1 year 8 months ago #105168 by Keith g
Keith g replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Thank you John

Keith..

If a telescope can fit into your backyard it's too small. If you can't move it, it's too big." -- John Dobson

More
1 year 8 months ago #105183 by KevinSmith
KevinSmith replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Hello,

What is the limit on the number of images, It states one but people are submitting multiple images. Will more than one per person be displayed?

There also seems to be 'limited' number or other exhibition items e.g telescopes. Can we submit sketches?

Thanks

Kevin

More
1 year 8 months ago #105190 by Kinch
Kinch replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
I see no reply since you posted......I would venture, that since it is not a competition, you can send in as many as you like. Whether the organisers use them all or not will be up to them.... :-)

I have submitted 3 to date.....and intend to submit more.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #105240 by Bruno
Yes, there is no limit to the number of images you can send in. The only limits will be the available wall space, avoiding too much repetition of the same object and putting on the best presentation of good images for the public. All images will be carefully reviewed and presented as per its original submitted aspect in an A3 frame. Any variation from this will be in consultation with the photographer.

With just over two weeks left there is still time to send images. Those already submitted are excellent and will form the basis of a good show. A press release will be issued after Christmas and we expect a lot of interest from the media at the launch event and over the three weeks of the exhibition.

I note there could be more images of Galaxies, Planets and sky events such as comets etc. so keep them coming.

Send all images to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and please remember to send in the following details:

Image Title:
Telescope or lens used:
Cameras used:
Exposure(s):
Techniques and software:

John Dolan
Exhibition project team

John
IAS

Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Bruno.

More
1 year 7 months ago #105271 by KevinSmith
KevinSmith replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
All

What is the maximum size email your address will accept. I have A3 TIFF images 80 & 230mb respectively at 300 DPI and don't really want to reduce this but if I have to I want to keep it to a minimum.

Is there not a location we can upload images too? Maybe with the printer.

Regards

Kevin

More
1 year 7 months ago #105273 by Bruno
Hi Kevin,
You can share the file on Dropbox with This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

John

John
IAS

More
1 year 7 months ago #105296 by Bruno
Less than one week left to get your images in! :rock: Send all images to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and please remember to send in the following details:

Image Title:
Telescope or lens used:
Cameras used:
Exposure(s):
Techniques and software:

John Dolan
Exhibition project team

John
IAS

More
1 year 7 months ago #105297 by KevinSmith
Thanks

John what is the maximum email size limit?

Regards

Kevin

More
1 year 7 months ago #105298 by Bruno
Hi Kevin,
Max size through Gmail is 25MB. You can share through google drive also.
See this link: support.google.com/mail/answer/6584?hl=en

Rgds
John

John
IAS

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #105314 by Bruno
FINAL NOTICE Closing date for entries is this Friday 8th. This gives us a chance to review, print and frame your images before February. All images to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and please remember to send in the following details:

Image Title:
Telescope or lens used:
Cameras used:
Exposure(s):
Techniques and software:

John Dolan
Exhibition project team

John
IAS

Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Bruno.

More
1 year 7 months ago #105338 by mamiya645
mamiya645 replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
4 images + their descriptions sent via shared Onedrive link.

Last minute or what!

Ray

"...we get to make it with hot alien babes. And, after all, whenever man has looked to the stars, isn't that what he always dreamed about?"
- Futurama [loosely quoted from memory, but I love it for its dismissal of traditional astronomical platitudes]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruno

More
1 year 7 months ago #105343 by dave_lillis
dave_lillis replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
same here, last minute, :bigshock:

I've sent on a few, if the deadline is extended and you need a few more, I can probabily do a bit more digging and find some more.

Onthing I noticed about my images doing this is that they're all a few years old, I must get back into some more astrophotography again. thats if I ever get a clear sky on a weekend. ..

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
IFAS Rep. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruno

More
1 year 7 months ago #105355 by Bruno
Entries are now closed. Thanks to all who sent images. The standard is excellent and we now have more than enough to put on a spectacular exhibition.

John

John
IAS

The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris, michael_murphy, yohan

• Seanie_Morris
  • Seanie_Morris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 7 months ago #105403 by Seanie_Morris
Seanie_Morris replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Excellent article I just spotted tonight from Irish Tech News ahead of the exhibition:

irishtechnews.net/ITN3/out-of-this-world...source=socialnetwork

:)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

More
1 year 6 months ago #105448 by Kinch
Kinch replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
I see there is mention in the Irish Times (online) today (Jan 25th). I don't have a subscription - so can't say anything about the content that is not on the header. However - great to see the exhibition is starting to get more coverage.
www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-ne...y-at-night-1.2508659
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

• johnflannery
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2004
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2004
More
1 year 6 months ago #105450 by johnflannery
johnflannery replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Hi Brendan,

The links below should allow you see the full content.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-ne...y-at-night-1.2508659

www.irishtimes.com/news/science/images-of-starlight-1.2509399

Brilliant image of the Elephant's Trunk nebula btw,

John

John Flannery ( aurorawatcher - at * gmail - dot * com ... remove hyphens/asterisks/spaces for email)
The chicken's motive for crossing the road would not be questioned in an ideal world
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, johnomahony, Kinch

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds