K-Tec

Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016

More
1 year 6 months ago #105454 by Kinch
Kinch replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Thanks for the link, John.
They are all fantastic images - promises to be a really great exhibition. I don't think I'll make it though :-(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #105462 by Bruno
Bruno replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Many thanks to everyone who sent in images for this exhibition. As it is intended to be a showcase for Irish Astrophotographers and not a competition, we did our best to display as many images as wall space allowed and put on the best possible show for the public. We selected images on this basis.
When we begin to setup the images later this week we hope to complete the framing and display of almost 60 images on the available wall space. We received more than twice that number and I am afraid we will have to disappoint a number of people. Perhaps we will do this again when there will be further opportunities.

The exhibitors whose work will be displayed on this occasion are as follows:
Aiden Dunne
Keith Geary
Yohan Riou
Michael O'Connell
Deirdre Kelleghan
Brendan Kinch
Michael Legris
Maria Janus
Brendan Alexander
Ian Carruthers
Albert White
Tom O'Donoghue
Bernie Brown
John Dolan
Eamon Ansbro
Paul Evans
John O'Mahony
Paul Cooke
John McKeon
Joe Regan
Kevin Stephen Smith
Martin Campbell
John O'Neill
Dave Lillis
Carl O'Beirne
Samuel Bleyen
Ruxandra Toma
Frank Butler
Seanie Morris

The event is getting a lot of coverage at the moment and we expect some more. We hope this will help to foster even more interest in astronomy among the public. Please visit the exhibition between 2nd and the 21st February between 10am and 4pm.

John Dolan
Exhibition Project Team

John
IAS

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Bruno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, johnomahony, Paul Evans, Kinch, yohan

More
1 year 6 months ago #105463 by dave_lillis
dave_lillis replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Many thanks for accepting my images, I'll be going up to this, is it open during the weekends ?
It's such an great idea , it's a wonder this wasn't done years ago.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
IFAS Rep. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• johnflannery
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2004
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2004
More
1 year 6 months ago #105467 by johnflannery
johnflannery replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Hi Dave,

That great image of the 2006 total solar eclipse brings back memories of the event and many a night in the Hillside Su + nearby bar B)

The Botanic Gardens are open at the weekend and their winter hours can be found at www.botanicgardens.ie/educ/info.htm

Spotted the Irish Independent article on the exhibition via a Google search at www.independent.ie/life/the-stars-look-v...-today-34395052.html

I'd been keeping an eye on the Indo web site for the piece but it never seemed to have appeared on their front page :unsure:

Give us a shout when you know what weekend you will be in town.

John

John Flannery ( aurorawatcher - at * gmail - dot * com ... remove hyphens/asterisks/spaces for email)
The chicken's motive for crossing the road would not be questioned in an ideal world

More
1 year 6 months ago #105468 by mamiya645
mamiya645 replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
For those of us who can't make the long journey to Dublin, could you please make a little online gallery of all the images that are being exhibited? Seeing as you already have them in digital format, it should be trivial to throw them all in an album on Dropbox, Onedrive or the like, and just share the link here.

Cheers!
Ray Butler
[who briefly got excited on seeing his surname in the list of chosen exhibitors....well whoever you are, Frank Butler, you are doing the clan proud!]

"...we get to make it with hot alien babes. And, after all, whenever man has looked to the stars, isn't that what he always dreamed about?"
- Futurama [loosely quoted from memory, but I love it for its dismissal of traditional astronomical platitudes]

More
1 year 6 months ago #105469 by yohan
yohan replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Yes many thanks for having my picture(s) included! I received invite for the opening on the 1st (Monday) and so I'll come up then.

More
1 year 6 months ago #105472 by johnomahony
johnomahony replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
I just watched the RTE news story on the RTE player (no TV in Mayo :( )
It was fantastic. The display looks amazing. Thanks for displaying my image!

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
1 year 6 months ago #105475 by Bruno
This is the rte news item. There have been more than 400 visitors to the exhibition already.

m.rte.ie/news/2016/0201/764469-solar-system-exhibition/

John
IAS

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, johnomahony, yohan

More
1 year 6 months ago #105476 by Keith g
Keith g replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
I saw last night's report from RTE :) I'll be there on Saturday :)

Keith.

If a telescope can fit into your backyard it's too small. If you can't move it, it's too big." -- John Dobson

• Seanie_Morris
  • Seanie_Morris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 6 months ago #105480 by Seanie_Morris
Seanie_Morris replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016

Bruno wrote: The exhibitors whose work will be displayed on this occasion are as follows:.....

Did you forget my name, John? :-P I was told one of my images was on display. ;-)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Seanie_Morris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 6 months ago #105481 by Seanie_Morris
Seanie_Morris replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: yohan

More
1 year 6 months ago #105482 by yohan

Kinch wrote: Thanks for the link, John.
They are all fantastic images - promises to be a really great exhibition. I don't think I'll make it though :-(

I took some photos of some of your pictures ( a fair few on display, 3-4 at least!) Ill email those to you Brendan,

More
1 year 6 months ago #105483 by yohan

Seanie_Morris wrote: Did you forget my name, John? :-P I was told one of my images was on display. ;-)

Yes defo one there Seanie, the Sun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris

More
1 year 6 months ago #105485 by Kinch

yohan wrote: Ill email those to you Brendan,

Thanks Yohan - hope you had a good day on Monday.....I would have loved to have made it :-(

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #105486 by Bruno

Seanie_Morris wrote:

Bruno wrote: The exhibitors whose work will be displayed on this occasion are as follows:.....

Did you forget my name, John? :-P I was told one of my images was on display. ;-)

Sorry about that Seanie. Your image "The Suns Beauty Spots" is certainly up there and looking good. Your name is on the list now. The exhibition is going very well again today. People from all over Ireland. Loads of enquiries about Astro clubs.

John

John
IAS

Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Bruno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnomahony

More
1 year 6 months ago #105488 by Paul Evans
Paul Evans replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Excellent that this is taking off so well. Gave it a big push in my warm-up at the IAA last night.

Well done to John and all who made this possible - excellent work!

Paul
IAA President, Webmaster & IFAS Rep
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, johnomahony

More
1 year 6 months ago #105507 by Bruno
Another positive mention of the exhibition here:

irishtechnews.net/ITN3/starlight-astroph...ed-by-canon-ireland/

John

John
IAS

The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

More
1 year 6 months ago #105509 by dave_lillis
dave_lillis replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Looking forward to visiting this on Saturday

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
IFAS Rep. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
1 year 6 months ago #105519 by flt158
flt158 replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Valerie and I went to the exhibition today and we both enjoyed it immensely.
We loved the very deep sky images as well as Moon, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn images. The Aurora photos and Deirdre Kelleghan's fascinating drawings were superb. It was wonderful to see a good few eclipses both lunar and solar from times past. They do bring back many happy memories. Many thanks to Keith Geary, Kevin Smith, Eamon Ansboro, Kinch and Dave Lillis for all their fine works amongst many other contributors.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis, Kinch, KevinSmith

More
1 year 6 months ago #105529 by Bruno
Piece of video from the opening event from Irish TV here: It starts 5:36 into the magazine programme:

www.irishtv.ie/dublin-matters-69

John

John
IAS

The following user(s) said Thank You: lionsden, michael_murphy, johnomahony, Kinch, flt158

More
1 year 6 months ago #105533 by Bruno
Well, the "Images of Starlight" exhibition finally came to a close today. We have been overwhelmed by the level of interest from the public who came from all over the country to see the show. At times there was a queue of people outside the door and cars waiting to get into the car park stretched down the road outside. The Botanic garden staff have told us that it was the biggest exhibition held there. We estimate there was between 8,000 to 10,000 visitors.

As well as interest in viewing the images, there was also a great deal of curiosity in things astronomical and in the telescopes and cameras which were on show. There have been quite a number of inquiries about joining IFAS clubs and in the next few months we hope to see clubs benefit as a result.

The project team would like to thank everyone who helped make it a success. Most of all a special thanks to all of the photographers who submitted images. Many thanks also to IFAS for joining with IAS and issuing the call for images. A special thanks to the Tallaght Photographic Society and Darragh Sherwin for facilitating a loan of the frames. Thanks are also due to Canon for loaning an excellent Pro 100 printer and supplying the paper and ink. The National Botanic Gardens excellent exhibition space and their staff also played a major part in making the event so successful.

There have been a number of requests to bring the exhibition to other venues including our IAA friends in Belfast who would like to show it there. More about this later.

I have attached a pic of the exhibition at closing time today.

Regards
IAS/IFAS Exhibition Project Team

John
IAS

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: lionsden, johnomahony, Mike, Kinch, flt158, yohan, KevinSmith

More
1 year 6 months ago #105534 by Kinch
Well done to the project team - you have done Irish Astronomy in general (and most especially those whose images you put on show) a great service. I sincerely hope that you got enough out of it yourselves (personally) to feel that all the hard work was worth it. For sure the clubs around the country will be in your debt... I expect that membership numbers will increase this year as a direct result of your work.

John - please name the project team members - their names should be up in lights here!

More
1 year 6 months ago #105535 by flt158
flt158 replied the topic: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to 21st 2016
Hi all.

From left to right we have Michael (?), Elizabeth, Val Dunne, John Dolan and John Flannery.

I am not sure of the first guy's name. He is a true gentlemen and loves carbon stars.

Aubrey.

More
1 year 6 months ago #105536 by Bruno
Thanks guys,
The project team as nominated by IFAS and IAS was as follows:
Peter Denman, Albert White, John Flannery, Darragh Sherwin, Val Dunne, Michael McCreary and myself

There were a number of people, including Elizabeth Caird who volunteered their time to assist over a number of days throughout the three weeks and many thanks to each of them.

John

John
IAS

The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, johnomahony, flt158

More
1 year 6 months ago #105540 by yohan
I'll echo Kinch and Bruno in saying thanks to all involved. Its great to get some exposure as astro-photographer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds