• markdj
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
20 years 1 week ago #2314 by markdj
Messier Marathon TONIGHT was created by markdj
Hi

Just to let you know there is a Messier Marathon tonight on Slieve Croob, County Down. Very easy access from the south via the main Dublin to Belfast Road. Directions and a map are on the EAAS website.

This will probably the only time til September when you will be able to see up to 102 Messier objects. The weather for Cosmos is expected to be bad (sorry to break the bad news :-) so come along and gather with the East Antrim Astronomical Society at Slieve Croob tonight from 19:30hrs.

Details are on our website.

www.eaas.co.uk/

Clear Skies

Mark Stronge
EAAS Webmaster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markdj
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
20 years 1 week ago #2336 by markdj
Replied by markdj on topic Messier Success in County Down
At 1930hrs on 17th March, we were not setting up our telescopes as we had hoped but were chasing after an elusive key to a gate that allowed us access to the summit of Slieve Croob and all round clear views. When we did get up to the summit it turned out to be too windy to observe with telescopes. We finally got setup at 2100hrs in the car park and picnic area which was just off the main access road. By now, all hopes of a Messier Marathon were setting in the West! As I tentatively typed in M74 on the Meade LX200 handset, I was fearing the worse. Why oh why did this have to be a Mag9.2 galaxy with little surface brightness when I'm trying to see it through 10 times the amount of atmosphere as is normally healthy? At 2110hrs after breathing deeply, I had a look in the eyepiece and discovered a very faint patch of brightness that was confirmed by the neighbouring stars in the eyepiece.

Instead of boring you with the entire lengthy post, just visit the EAAS website.

PS. We got them allllllmost ;-)

More
20 years 1 week ago #2339 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Messier Marathon TONIGHT
congratulations Mark . . . what a fantastic achievement and a great write-up on the trials and tribulations of the Marathon. I don't know myself of anyone who has previously succeeded. A few people were talking about tackling a Marathon at Cosmos this weekend but I think the weather is not looking too good.

best,

John Flannery,
SDAS

• markdj
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
20 years 1 week ago #2342 by markdj
Replied by markdj on topic Messier Marathon report update
Hi John

Thanks for your comments. I have just updated the report again. It now has an introduction (always helps) and I read through it carefully and fixed all the grammar and spelling mistakes too !!! I've also added some images that we took last year of a few of the Messier objects.

The report looks much better now :-)

Clear Skies

Mark Stronge

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds