K-Tec

Observing/Photographing Dwarf Galaxy Leo 1

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 1 week ago #26470 by Keith g
Hi all, I've known about this galaxy for some time - it's printed on my SkyAtlas 2000, but has anybody ever tried to observe/photograph it?

www.universetoday.com/am/publish/leo1_040906.html

The glare from Regulus (the brightest star in Leo) would be strong....and it's not that hard to find!

Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 week ago #26472 by dmcdona
That'd be a tough cookie alright. Why not give it a lash?

Cheers

Dave

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 1 week ago #26474 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
I'd never get it just yet, I'm waiting on my C80ED-RGT :P :P

Why don't you have a go Dave??

Keith..

More
18 years 1 week ago #26477 by dmcdona
:roll:

Spose so... :wink: Looks like it might clear up here - I was hoping to get out and do some PEC - if I get a chance, I slew over to Regulus and see what gives...

Cheers and thanks for the work :cry:
Dave

More
18 years 1 week ago #26478 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Observing/Photographing Dwarf Galaxy Leo 1
That would be a nice achievement alright. But, I find it hard to get my head over how this photo was taken:
This remarkable photograph was produced by astronomer, Bernhard Hubl, at his imaging site in Schlierbach, Austria over a period of three nights during mid-March, 2006. This picture required over eight hours of exposure and was produced through a four inch aperture refractor with a 2 mega-pixel astronomical camera.

1- You would think that a 2 megapixel camera could not really achieve that kind of clarity

2. It doesn't say how long each exposure was, but I am guessing that it took 3 nights (3 attempts) to do it, but the best of the 3 was used perhaps?

3. A 4 inch refractor? Wow! Amazing detail caught there! It must be tracking on an AP mount! And the 2MP camera must not be too bad after all!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 1 week ago #26480 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Observing/Photographing Dwarf Galaxy Leo 1
I don't know if it's even possible to see Leo1 visually, but I've never been able to pick it out even with my 20" f/4 (no filters.) I suspect that the glare from Regulus is scuppering any chance I might have! It's fun trying though!

Phil.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds