how where ????????

• supergiant
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 5 months ago #35306 by supergiant
how where ???????? was created by supergiant
hi managed to do some stargazing tonite 8th Nov,,, ,in a dark area,acept for the moon,nice though

im using first scope 80eq celestron,a 10mm and 20mm eyepeice,

my questions , i use Cassiopeia to find andromeda galxy but i cant find it,the starfinder is of no use as i cant see it naked eye,,
also when lookin through binoculars and the scope just below alkaid ,it is said that the whirlpool galaxy is located, so either my starchart software is giving me wrong readings,or my scope and binculars are not the best, or the moon washed out the chances of seen the galxys mentioned above,any ideas :?:

Magnificent Universe

My equiptment . celestron firstscope 80EQ, 20mm and 10mm eyepieces.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #35307 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: how where ????????
I'd definitely suggest that for your first attempt at any object you wait for a moon-free night. The moon is getting out of our way now so I'd suggest waiting a few nights and then giving it another go.

Also, I personally find it easier to find Andromeda by star-hopping from Pegasus rather than Cassiopeia. Over two and up two from the top-left corner of the square basically.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 5 months ago #35308 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: how where ????????

Also, I personally find it easier to find Andromeda by star-hopping from Pegasus rather than Cassiopeia. Over two and up two from the top-left corner of the square basically.

I use the exact same approach as Bart. From the Andromeda corner of Pegasus. Left two, up two :-)

The whirlpool might be a little faint to pick out in a light polluted sky with a small telscope. The nearly full moon at the moment certainly wont help.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 5 months ago #35309 by Perseus
Replied by Perseus on topic Re: how where ????????
Best of luck with your new scope.

It's murphys law that if you get a new scope it will either be cloudy or else clear with a full moon washing out the sky :roll:

Your going to find andromeda gal. easy tonight however may be a bit disapointed with the lack of detail............ you just have to remember you are looking at a galaxy the about the same size as our milky Way about 2.5 million light years away.

The Whirlpool is easy to locate but difficult to see with your 3"......... still do able if conditions good.

Might be worth having a crack at the Ring Nebula M57 in Lyra. It is easy to locate (close to Vega, one of brightest stars in sky) and should be reasonably high in the sky early tonight before the moon rises to far.

Damon

More
17 years 5 months ago #35310 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: how where ????????

Might be worth having a crack at the Ring Nebula M57 in Lyra. It is easy to locate (close to Vega, one of brightest stars in sky) and should be reasonably high in the sky early tonight before the moon rises to far.

Might as well put the diagram for that up too.

Its half way between those two stars as on the diagram, though it is a lot smaller than the circle there indicates. It will look like a star at low magnification.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 5 months ago #35321 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: how where ????????
not to go against the grain ,but last weekend i found andromeda on a moonlit night by hopping from Cassiopeia. i have a habbit of doing stuff the hard way though! must try to find it from pegasus this weekend.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds