One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 4 months ago #102273 by lunartic_old
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish was created by lunartic_old
A little homage to Dr Seuss, what do you mean you haven't read it?

The rain cleared through on Tuesday the 28th and the clear weather that came following provided some excellent seeing, clearing out the muck in the atmosphere. I stayed in the southern part of the sky and dipped my toe into the waters of Pisces and hooked a couple of beauts, yeah, sorry for the terrible (fishing?) lines.

STF 2995: Pale orange and white, similar mags, 8-8.5, separation is 5, easy at X147.
STF 3009: A deeper orange this time with a blue companion, nice colour contrast, mags. 7-9, wide at 7.1", there's a nice Y asterism just below the pair, looks somewhat similar to the bowl of Virgo.
STF 3019: A wide 11" white pair comprising stars of 7 & 8 mags. Easily split at X84
STF 3030: A nice pale yellow and white pair, it was hard to detect the yellow, defocusing the star helped. Equal mags. at 8.5, a little tight at 2.4" and required a little more magnification, X267 to give the better view.
STF 3031: A deeper yellow, looks lemon in colour, and white, very wide at 14", 7.5-8.5 mags. A snip to split at X84.
STF 3033: Another pale yellow and white pair, a magnification of X147 split the equal 8.5 mag. pair with ease.
ADS 16995: This is a tight pair, separation is only 1.0", both at 8.5 mag. They are listed as yellow and white, I could not see the yellow colour, this I am putting down to the closeness of the pair. X267 got the job done.
Alpha Piscium: A very tight, 1.9", pair of white stars, mags. 4-5, a magnification of X267 was needed to achieve the split, the closeness of the magnitudes really helped in this case.
HJ 647: The pick of the night, the stars are faint, 9-9.5, however they are wide at 26", the primary is deep red in colour and the white companion sets the red off nicely. An added bonus is the carbon star SAO 110297 lies in the same field, it is not as intense as the primary, is this a carbon star too? Two deep red stars in the same field of view, I can't imagine there being too many of those around.
STF 155: Another pale yellow and white combo. Mags. 8-8.5, separation of 5" make it an easy grab, this pair lies within the borders of a kite shaped asterism, nice.
STF 146: Lemon yellow and white, equal 8.5 mags. and wide at 24" Easily split at X84
STF 145: Another pale yellow-white pair, there is a wide variance in magnitudes, 6-10.5, the wide separation of 10" aids in splitting the pair.
100 Piscium: White and very pale yellow, almost white, 7-8 mags. Wide at 15", best seen at X147.
STF 132: Yellow white again, a more intense yellow this time, wide at 43", mags. 7-10. The primary sits in the middle of a triangle of equal magnitude fainter stars, knowing the PA and the separation is essential in detecting the correct secondary.
STF 129: Listed as F0, very pale yellow, the primary looked white, like the companion. 8.5-9 mags. Wide at 8.5".
STF 122: A white pair of 7-9 mag. stars, separation is 6", easy to split at X147
HJ 636: White pair, wide difference in magnitudes, 7-10, very wide at 20" diamond shaped asterism seen on the edge of the field.
Phi Piscium: This was tough split, mags. are 4.5-10, a separation of 7.7" divides the orange primary from the white companion, I could separate them at X147.
STF 87: Similar orange-white pair to phi, mags. are 8-8.5 with a wide separation of 6.5"

The clearing of the air by the rain really helped in achieving splits that were tight, even at lower magnifications. The southern sky was very clear, even with the presence of a street light to the south of my location, there were many southern stars visible with the naked eye, so the rain is not always a bad thing.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis, michael_murphy, flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #102274 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Oh, I love Alpha Piscium (Alrischa). I have split it @ 167X.

Sorry, Paul, I don't know Dr. Seuss. I do know Dr. Zeus from Planet of the Apes.

Aubrey.

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 4 months ago #102275 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Alpha is a cracker all right, two very bright stars making up a pair, usually doubles are down in the 7th mag and beyond.

Dr Seuss wrote books for children such as the Cat in the Hat, the Lorax and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I had great fun reading them to my children when they were smaller, some of the tongue twisters having you laughing stupidly at yourself.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds