• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
10 years 10 months ago #97913 by lunartic_old
Would You Recommend? was created by lunartic_old
Hi folks

I've been asked to recommend a scope for a beginner, I have seen a Celestron Astromaster 90 EQ for sale for €100. I've read some encouraging reviews on the Web, but my main concern is that this is an f/11 scope, the field of view is going to be quite narrow and is my friend going to be restricted to the Moon, planets, double stars and the brighter DSOs? I don't want to burn his interest with a scope that does not deliver.

One of the main points is that it is only €100.

Advice please.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #97917 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re: Would You Recommend?
What about a cheap dobsonian Paul? great light gathering power, easy to move about once set up, and a low f value giving a decent wide viw

Keith.

More
10 years 10 months ago #97921 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Would You Recommend?
Keith has a point, Paul. You might get a 6" Dob second hand for €150 - €200 (with eyepieces), a little more dosh would get him an 8" Dob (c. €300/€350 price tag second hand), and it would be more of an investment at this aperture.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
10 years 10 months ago #97924 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Would You Recommend?
That was my thinking also, the 90mm objective, while a good size lens, combined with the f/11 focal length was steering me away from this scope.

The lad is keen to get a scope, talking to his parents they are thinking of getting him one for Christmas, I believe that the best option is to get him to hold on until then, talk to him, and inform him of the benefits of a bigger scope.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, Christmas isn't that far away.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds