ISS + Iridium flare tonight

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 10 months ago #100964 by flt158
ISS + Iridium flare tonight was created by flt158
Hi everyone. I have just been visiting the website www.heavens-above.com and I notice, if we can tear ourselves away from the world cup soccer and if the skies are reasonably clear, we have the opportunity of seeing a double event regarding an Iridium Flare and an interesting passing of the International Space Station.
Firstly, at 22.58 local time, a -7.4 Iridium Flare travels through the dim constellation Cepheus near Deneb (Alpha Cygni) in the north eastern sky.
And secondly, 3 minutes later at 23.01, a -3.1 ISS almost occults the brightest star in the sky (at this time of year) Arcturus. It looks like it passes just north of the star. I am planning on setting up the scope. I hope to have a report tomorrow.
Here's to clear skies, one and all.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris, tony h, michael_murphy, lunartic_old

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #100965 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic ISS + Iridium flare tonight
A -7.4 , that's unreal, never seen one that bright

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
9 years 10 months ago #100966 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic ISS + Iridium flare tonight
It's only -7.4 at the flare centre, I think you're in Limerick also Dave so it'll be a lot less bright for us.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 10 months ago #100971 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic ISS + Iridium flare tonight
Hi all. The sky conditions were appalling last night. I could make out Arcturus and Vega with my eyes alright before 11. But Deneb was only visible with binoculars, The Plough overhead was invisible.

First I tried looking for the -7 Iridium Flare before 11pm, but no sign of it in the northeast. But then I realized I had to get over to Arcturus to see the ISS passing to its north. Sure enough right on time, the spacecraft appeared very bright at -3. It passed less than a degree north of Arcturus at 11.01 pm and I was very happy to follow it in the guidescope at 11X. When it got over to the east, I got the main scope unto it at 40X. I could make out one solar panel and its main hub -great sight!

After the excitement, I found Epsilon Lyrae near Vega, and saw all 4 components at 112X. Then I went back to Bootes, and without seeing Izar with my eyes, I spotted him in the guidescope, and split him at a mere 112X! It was also dramatic at 140X.

After all that, the sky went completely overcast. Thinking it might rain, I packed all my equipment at midnight.

Thanks for reading. How did anyone else get on?

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #100978 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic ISS + Iridium flare tonight
Another iridium flare was scheduled for 02.42 Aubrey and, low and behold it duly appeared:) Despite patchy cloud beneath the Plough, it rapidly brightened to about Jupiter level before fading at an identical rate. Impressive sight, and even more impressive how accurately they can be predicted B)
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Fermidox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #100979 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic ISS + Iridium flare tonight

Fermidox wrote: It's only -7.4 at the flare centre, I think you're in Limerick also Dave so it'll be a lot less bright for us.

definitely, a few miles makes a difference, me been so far away i probably wouldn't see anything at all. its just I've never seen one even approaching anything like a -7.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by dave_lillis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds