K-Tec

Perseids Meteor Shower 2015

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #104577 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Perseids Meteor Shower 2015
Its great to see the enthusiasm that an event like this creates.

A number of us from SAC went out to Lough Gur for several hours last night, we got to see a good number of meteors including several > -1 magnitude ones.
Definitely thee best Persied shower in recent years, no Moon and clear skies, perfect cloud free timing.

The ISS and 3 iridiums were the cherries on the cake, one of the iridiums in particular must have been one of the mag -7 class ones, never seen anything like it,

So a good night all round, if it had been a Friday/Saturday night, I think many would have stayed up til sunrise, but work was on the cards today.
Just checked the sat image to see if a repeat tonight is possible, big cloud band off the west coast coming in :(

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by dave_lillis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #104578 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Perseids Meteor Shower 2015
Too right Dave, I had a brilliant night last night, I saw many Perseids too many count,I was up until 3am B)

I took some shots but the dew on my lens was a battle, I think I 've lost that one, but I will try again tonight

Keith..

More
8 years 8 months ago #104581 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Perseids Meteor Shower 2015
Please keep the reports coming, everyone.
I am delighted that a lot of observers saw many meteors.
Even though Valerie and I had overcast skies on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, it sure gives us a real buzz for the upcoming Leonids and Geminids.
I have one question? Did some of you see as many as 4 meteors a minute as I did back in August 1990? That is one meteor every 15 seconds.

Aubrey.

More
8 years 8 months ago #104582 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Perseids Meteor Shower 2015
I didn't see 4 per minute Aubrey, but I did see 5 in a 3-minute spell shortly after 2am and I would say three of these were of +1 magnitude. There were a couple of other occasions when two meteors appeared almost simultaneously.

I also realised they seem quite difficult to capture on camera, there was one in particular which was brighter than Altair but only shows up as a faint streak on the image. I suppose they are just too ephemeral to make an impression on a basic dslr sensor, unless they are fireball bright.

Finbarr.

More
8 years 8 months ago #104583 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Perseids Meteor Shower 2015
Wow -2 appearing simultaneously. That is only sensational!!

I have never had that privilege, Finbarr. Hats off to you -congratulations. No need for camera proof -I believe you.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fermidox

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #104589 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Perseids Meteor Shower 2015
Plenty of meteors seen at Skelligs, I saw around 40, and I wasn't even particularly looking for them early on, as I was using my telescope most of the time to view other stuff. Others saw many more than that.

I can confirm Finbarr's observations. Just after 2.00am there was a bit of a rush of meteors. around 5 or 6 in a two or three minute spell, including two of very similar brightness within a few seconds of each other and both following roughly the same track

All in all, the best Perseid shower for many a long year
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by stevie.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds