Upcoming solar cycle

• spaceboy
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 1 month ago #25047 by spaceboy
Upcoming solar cycle was created by spaceboy
Check out this link. If it happens we might be in for more auroral displays and more sunspots at solar maximum.

www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/03/07/solar.storm.ap/index.html

Spaceboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 month ago #25341 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Upcoming solar cycle
Plenty of time to save up for a Coronado Ha or CaK, with a peak at 2012. But isn't it typical when two experts get together, one says the cycle will be late this year (2006) and the other says not till the end of 2007 or even 2008. Thats a whole year of a difference - Is this typical of solar cycle predicting ? I haven't really noticed in the past.
Just goes to show how little we really know about our nearest star. However if we are in for an increase in activity during the next solar cycle, some of my astro euros will definitely be going in that direction.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
18 years 1 month ago #25342 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Upcoming solar cycle

Thats a whole year of a difference - Is this typical of solar cycle predicting ?

It seems to be with predictions alright. Though with hindsight there is a fairly regular 11 year ish cycle on average. Whether the cycle will be closer to 10 or 12 is hard to estimate. Though with SOHO and helioseismology we should have more data to be able to make better estimates.

Unfortunately more data can confuse matters! science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002/18jan_solarback.htm shows a nice graph of a double peak last time round over a year apart.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds