• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 6 months ago #5682 by albertw
phone spam was created by albertw
HI,

Did anyone else just get a voicemail from David Moore going on about astro expo?

Just wondering if this is some mass marketing from him and if so who to best complain to. I'm with o2 in case thats important, recieved 1.50 pm today.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5683 by Krusty
Replied by Krusty on topic Re: phone spam
Yup.
Got it too
I imagine he used my phone number from my subscription to the Astronomy Mag.

The call didn't bother me that much.
Although a flyer for the event he's promoting came with this months mag.
Perhaps over-doing it a small bit.
:roll:

More
19 years 6 months ago #5684 by Perseus
Replied by Perseus on topic Re: phone spam
Yea just got one - good idea though - should have thought of it for the Whirlpool :idea:

Let me see ......... even at full call charges of 12 cent per call, 7000 calls (AI membership :wink: ) thats 840 Euro. Lets say 10% attend due to voicemail and pay even 10 Euro each - thats 7000 Euro extra revenue for the event.

Ye got to hand it to this guy :twisted:

More
19 years 6 months ago #5687 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: phone spam
I got it too and am livil.

I rang up the "club" (i.e. the shop) and left them in no doubt about the level of my displeasure. I also informed them that it was illegal and initially they tried to fobb me off with a "please email David Moore" line but I was quite insistent that they remove me from their list immediately.

Honestly, to see my "membership" money be spent on spamming me with details I did NOT provide them with for that purpose is just not on.

Which organisation over sees this kind of stuff? There must be some watch dog we can lodge a formal complaint with?

The ultimate irony is that I got the voice mail during a confernce discussion ON SPAM!

Anyhow, I feel better having vented over the phone so I'd ask everyone else who recieved the message to do the same so they are in no doubt about just how pissed off we all are!

Bart B.,
VERY pissed off A&S Subscriber.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 6 months ago #5688 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: phone spam

Which organisation over sees this kind of stuff? There must be some watch dog we can lodge a formal complaint with?

The ultimate irony is that I got the voice mail during a confernce discussion ON SPAM!

Anyhow, I feel better having vented over the phone so I'd ask everyone else who recieved the message to do the same so they are in no doubt about just how pissed off we all are!

comreg (comreg.ie) would be the ultimate overseer, however they will require that you complain to your provider first. <Customer.Care@o2.com> in O2's case.

One point that someone mentioned is that this spam requires you to dial 171 to access your voicemail, in which case you have to pay to recieve the spam, which puts it into a more serious category than regular junk text messaging. Similarly no unsubscription information was listed in the message.

Cheers,
~Al

p.s. I think the ticket sales for the event must be very low if hes resorting to spamming every phone number on their books. Its sent to more than subscribers if I'm getting it.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 6 months ago #5689 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: phone spam

I got it too and am livil.

I didn't get one. :( He probably only sent it to people he likes... :lol:

And I was looking forward to a good rant down the phone this afternoon. It's been a while since I've done one of these.

Although, since they're a 'non-profit group', I'd feel bad about taking it any further. :wink:

p.s. I think the ticket sales for the event must be very low if hes resorting to spamming every phone number on their books. Its sent to more than subscribers if I'm getting it.

I don't understand. Yesterday he emailed us and told us everybody in Ireland is going. That means he'll be making total revenue of €33 X 4,000,000 = €132m for the event - I can't see why he has to send out phone spam like this.

Although it'll be a great boost for Irish astronomy when he reinvests that €132m back into the non-profit group. He can spend the loose change buying Dunsink.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds