• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
13 years 6 months ago #86628 by lunartic_old
Seeing Stars was created by lunartic_old
Hi all

Here's a funny story, it's funny 24 hours later anywayB) .

It was clear here last night so I decided to get the scope out. The scope is housed in a shed in the back garden and it has to be moved only about 2 metres to where I set it up, Now the dob is heavy, 88 pounds in total, the tube coming in at 50 pounds. I set up the scope and went back to the shed to put the scope bag away. The back garden was on a slope and I created two levels to make slabbing it easier. As I stepped back down off the upper level I stepped down and found myself suddenly flying through the air.:silly: I somehow managed to perform an acrobatic move that would make a gymnast proud as I did a half twist to the right and came down heavily, I weigh a shade under 15 stone.:blush: My head connected with a heavy flower pot, the glasses went flying and I discovered the power of gravity.:lol:

I lay there for a moment, to my credit I managed to keep a civil tongue in my head.:laugh: Finding the glasses I put them on, thankfully they were not broken and looked up at the night sky, not exactly the stargazing I had in mind.;)

I got shakily to my feet and felt the goose egg growing on my head, there was no blood, thankfully and went inside for a moment. My wife and eldest son were out at the time and the younger children were in bed. I knew that I would not be using thr scope that night and managed to get it back into the shed.

And what was the cause of my aeronautics? A candle. 6 inches long and 2 inches in diameter, we had some out in the garden from last weekend and this one had escaped our notice. That was until I stepped on it of course.:)

I was lucky not to have sustained anything more than a bump on the head and a slight headache. And what I have learned from the experience is that I think I need a permanent set up, and to sweep the ground for candles before I step out into the garden.:woohoo:

As I said, it's funny with the passage of 24 hours.

Isn't life strange?

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #86640 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic Re:Seeing Stars
ye poor man - so you weren't burning the candle at both ends, just slipping up over it......

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

More
13 years 6 months ago #86642 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Re:Seeing Stars
Glad to hear that you did not suffer any serious injury Paul. Interesting that an incident with a candle should make you WAX lyrical.

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

More
13 years 6 months ago #86644 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Seeing Stars
well, atleast you didnt fall on or damage the scope.
You will heal, a broken scope is forever. ;)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
13 years 6 months ago #86647 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Seeing Stars
A 2" candle eh, Paul? Glad it wasn't a Nagler or Hyperion 2"!

:D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
13 years 6 months ago #86650 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:Seeing Stars
I see humour is struggling on the forum.:laugh:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds