K-Tec

Submitting shots to magazines- debate

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #93403 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Submitting shots to magazines- debate
Anthony
That's very interesting what you say about facebook, I had heard that any images you put up there are automatically owned by facebook (copyrighted and so on), I guess there is alot of crap going around out there about fb.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #93406 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Submitting shots to magazines- debate
Dave,

There is no question there is a lot of crap circulating in relation to FB and this particular claim is something I have heard myself. However, I purposely did research it and there is no basis for it.

At the same time, FB would be shooting themselves in the foot with such a policy for the simple reason nobody would load their photos, thus taking away a serious aspect of FB.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #93415 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re: Submitting shots to magazines- debate
Wow Anthony, you are very knowledgeable on this subject, and fair play to you for knowing your rights, it seems that this area has long been too much ignored, especially since s@n have demanded that I do the work, and they take all the rewards if any, which I feel is very unfair, and is a pity since the magazine itself is excellent in it's own right to read and be interactive with.

I'll have a read of the link regarding the copyright laws and educate myself ! :)

Clear skies!

Keith..

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #93416 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: Submitting shots to magazines- debate
yep, Anthony's right there. When you upload to Facebook you give them the rights to use your image however they want, should the want to, but you, the original owner, still retain the copyright.
Should be the same for the mags - I can't imagine them getting away with handover of the copyright itself - you're really just giving them a perpetual license to use the image.
Trev

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #93417 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re: Submitting shots to magazines- debate
Not from me anymore Trevor, unless s@n change their terms of course.

Keith.
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by Keith g.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #93418 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Submitting shots to magazines- debate
Gentlemen,

Have you read closely the terms and conditions for Astronomy Photographer of the Year held each year by Royal Observatory Greenwich? I will give you a hint: S@N is one of the major sponsors.

Here are some quotes from the contest rules webpage ( www.rmg.co.uk/visit/exhibitions/astronom...r/competition/rules/ ):

(1) "you grant the Royal Observatory Greenwich a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free licence to use, publicly perform and publicly display by means of the Flickr API (“Application Programming Interface”) your photo solely in connection with the group, competition and exhibition, without any further notice or remuneration to you. This applies to all images in the group including those not entered in the competition."

(2) "By entering your photo into the competition you agree to give the National Maritime Museum (‘Royal Observatory Greenwich’) a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, in perpetuity licence to use, copy, modify, translate and/or adapt, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display by any means and in any media and create derivative works of, and copy, distribute, publicly perform and publicly display such derivative works of your photo, for the purposes of promoting the exhibition and the competition through press and marketing activity."

(3) "Please note that images may be used in the Sky at Night Magazine calendar, or be reproduced in the Magazine specifically in relation to the competition, for which no royalties will be payable.

Entered images may also be used as part of a planetarium show, for which no royalties will be payable."

I did not enter the first year of the contest specifically due to the above rules. However, I did participate for the second and third editions of the contest and, most probably, this year as well.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by ayiomamitis.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds