K-Tec

First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014

• Roy Stewart
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2014
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2014
More
9 years 8 months ago #101619 by Roy Stewart
Replied by Roy Stewart on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
Hey Guys..

Just the same as Neill, I've been scrolling
through Starry Night and came up with the same
dates..
My vote is for Sept but I don't want to be standing
on anyone's toes so I'll do the same as last time..
So those in favor of Sept or Aug sound off.

Cheers Roy

#ClearSkies #LunarNut #LoveSkelligsSkies

QUOTE: “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke.
Skywatcher 200pds & HEQ5 PRO Mount , 15x70 Astro Revelation binos.. EP's SW 38mm 2" Panaview- SW 30mm 2" Aero- SW 26mm 2"Panaview.. 2" UHC filter-2" OIII filter.

www.twitter.com/Roydeboy33

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #101620 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
We could always do both weekends :D .

I suspect August will be busier as it is an earlier weekend so I would vote for September as well.

Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roy Stewart

More
9 years 8 months ago #101621 by manic_dave
Replied by manic_dave on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
I'm for the September dates also. Might be slightly colder but its not like we are in tents.
We will also get that extra bit of darkness.
I think ill be taking an extra day myself, going to bring the fishing rods.
Teach Seanie and Dave Mc how its done !

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #101622 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
WOW! It shows how great a weekend it was when there's already plans for 2015, 13 months in advance.

For me, I'm torn. the Perseids peak on August 12, and I can only guess what that must look like under those pristine skies, it might tempt some members to go down on the Wednesday to catch the shower and stay on for the weekend.

I know there were a few of us die hards who stayed up on the Friday night until 4.45, and the skies were still dark, Stevie showed us the Silver Coin Galaxy, NGC 253, in the early morning, so there is plenty of observing to be done in August.

We all want southern skies, and September offers the likes of Aquarius, Piscis Austrinus, Cetus, Pisces and eastern Eridinus, prime galaxy country for those who pursue such objects.

As John states, there are the stars of summer, autumn and winter to be seen in a single night, start off observing Lyra and finish off with Canis Major.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm good for either August or September.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by lunartic_old.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevie, Roy Stewart, manic_dave

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #101624 by stevie
September would be fine by me, now that my hankering to see M54, M69 and M70 in a scope has finally been settled.

The Teapot will be low on the horizon by the time daylight fades, but the M objects above it will be visible for an hour or so.

NGC253 and the elusive Helix (which I saw for a total of about 5 seconds) will both be visible, although lower down in the sky.

The constellation Cetus was also brilliant in the early morning, and I have never really had a chance to get stuck into the Eridanus galaxies.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by stevie.

More
9 years 8 months ago #101628 by Neill
One thing about the really dark skies down in kerry, was that you had to be super careful not to knock over/come into contact etc with other people's gear. Can anyone recommend where you could get red led lights which could be clipped on/attached to gear that's not being used etc.

Cheers

Neill

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds