K-Tec

First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014

More
9 years 8 months ago #101630 by KevinSmith
Replied by KevinSmith on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
I still have M22 through a 9mm engrained in my mind. Thought I was going to have to use a moon filter it was so bright : )

I am up for August as I want to take a few days off and at least make it a long weekend or maybe even a full week - that’s not easy with kids at school although I would do September if that’s the agreed weekend. Neill, I bought some little luminous stick on stars at the Astronomy Centre that I was going to put on the bottom of the mount legs on Saturday night if it was clear. Might try it next time I am out and see how bright they are initially and how dim they get. We also had lots of clutter around so now we know how busy it can get we can clear the place out early including the chairs and BBQ. We should really also politely ask the neighbours to join us that evening i.e. turn the lights off! You could really see the difference when the lights did go off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Roy Stewart
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2014
More
9 years 8 months ago #101631 by Roy Stewart
Replied by Roy Stewart on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
Hi Kevin..

Sept is the off season, so all the house's
around the area will be empty so there
will be ZERO light pollution.. That's one
of the big advantages of having it in Sept.
But if there are any neighbors around we can
certainly invite them to come and join us.

Cheers Roy

#ClearSkies #LunarNut #LoveSkelligsLodgeSkies

QUOTE: “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke.
Skywatcher 200pds & HEQ5 PRO Mount , 15x70 Astro Revelation binos.. EP's SW 38mm 2" Panaview- SW 30mm 2" Aero- SW 26mm 2"Panaview.. 2" UHC filter-2" OIII filter.

www.twitter.com/Roydeboy33

More
9 years 8 months ago #101632 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014

Neill wrote: One thing about the really dark skies down in kerry, was that you had to be super careful not to knock over/come into contact etc with other people's gear. Can anyone recommend where you could get red led lights which could be clipped on/attached to gear that's not being used etc.

Cheers

Neill

Aldi/Lidl had some reflective strips with red flashing lights a few years ago. They have velcro on them and are perfect for attaching to scopes. Keep an eye out for them.

Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roy Stewart

More
9 years 8 months ago #101633 by Skymoo
I will be there next year no problem was a great weekend not to bad off a drive home only 9 hours! But it was worth it.

Thanks again too everyone who helped organise it hope to see you all again soon

Geraldine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roy Stewart

• Roy Stewart
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #101638 by Roy Stewart
Replied by Roy Stewart on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
A taster for next year..

Cheers Roy

#ClearSkies #LunarNut #LoveSkelligsLodgeSkies

QUOTE: “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke.
Skywatcher 200pds & HEQ5 PRO Mount , 15x70 Astro Revelation binos.. EP's SW 38mm 2" Panaview- SW 30mm 2" Aero- SW 26mm 2"Panaview.. 2" UHC filter-2" OIII filter.

www.twitter.com/Roydeboy33
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Roy Stewart.

More
9 years 7 months ago #101648 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
Hey all, genuinely so jealous of ye all- it sounded like a great weekend. I'm definitely going to go next year. I'd go for September too- although I know my vote doesn't count for much!! But i'm more than willing to take a bit of cold (a bit more whiskey) to see possibly longer and darker skies.

And congrats to Roy for originally organizing this- hope it continues to grow next year and for years to come.

Sean

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds