K-Tec

Shannonside to start article series in Limerick Leader.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #15889 by dave_lillis
Hi All,
Just to announce that the club will be writing a series of articles in the Limerick Leader newspaper every weekend starting now.
A number of us in the club are involved and if all goes well, it will run for a year with a view to continuing. We have over 16 articles already written and ready for publication in the paper, this is to make sure we stay ahead of the game.
They gave us a 500 word column on the back page of the front section in which we can also put pics, we're delighted as this is a very visible location.

We felt that this was a better solution then going down the club magazine route, which we were also pondering over.

So if you can get the paper in your area, let us know what you think..

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #15890 by dmcdona
Dave - nice one - a novel way to get the message through to TGP (the general public). Would it be possible to post your articles for information? The generic formula could be a real boon to other clubs thinking along the same lines... Not that anyone would be stealing your idea of course :wink: Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that...

Well done - and a brave decision between this format and a club magazine.

Would you like some images?

Cheers

Dave McD

More
18 years 7 months ago #15891 by ctr
Any link for the newspaper.

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

More
18 years 7 months ago #15895 by Seanie_Morris
Nice one to get that Dave Lillis. Local newspapers love local news, it encourages people to buy it for reasons like 'my picture is in the paper!' or 'did you see Dave's article on the back page?' Its all good, just your biggest challenge will be to keep up to date with a weekly article! Well done, and as has been said, if you want some help from IFAS, just ask!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #15904 by dave_lillis
All credit to Conn Buckley for coming up with the idea and for working out the details with the newspaper.
Conn, Tony and I are the main writers altough a handful of others in the club will also be writing articles.

Dave Mc D, thanks for the offer on the pictures, we'll take you up on that as we need them.

Basically, in my mind, this is much better then a club mag, the mag would get to about 50 or so people, this newspaper sells tens of thousands every week.!

Seanie, we put ALOT of serious planning into making sure we could sustain it, we agreed amounst ourselves that we would not commit if we could not do it. We'll try it for a year, presuming the paper doesnt get board of us.
We'll probabily ask other clubs to throw in the occasional article here and there if they want, but we want to get settled before we expand the reach.
This is something we wont be depending on, so no pressure there.

As for online, check out their website,
www.limerick-leader.ie/Features.htm
We're in the features section of the paper, the website is a few days behind the paper by the looks of it.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 7 months ago #15911 by michaeloconnell
Well doen to all!

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds