K-Tec

Life on other planets

More
16 years 3 months ago #58964 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Life on other Planets?

Hi Paul
Is there so few to zero other civilizations, is that why their deliberate or non intentional signals have not been detected in over 40 years, or are there many civilizations capable of communicating and interstellar travel, then the question must be asked again; where are they?

You have to remember that only 100 years ago we could not have been detected using radio, so in theory there is nothing prevent a pre-computer civilisation been only say 40 LYs from us.We'd need to take a spectrum of these planets to be sure, at the moment we cant even visually detect any planet in any other solar system, so a spectrum of it is a long way off yet. .

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58984 by Jovian79
Replied by Jovian79 on topic Re: Life on other planets

If you consider hypothetically speaking another intelligent civilization elsewhere in the MilkyWay galaxy with a billion year head start in technological/social/spiritual evolution

Mike.

Theres also a line of thought that states that a lifeform couldnt have had that kind of headstart unless they started out pretty early in the birth of the universe which they say (always 'they'?!) wouldnt have happened - it would take billions of years for it to settle down, matter being distributed, planets forming etc etc. So ive read anyway. Just goes to show - everyone has an opinion. Including the fields of cosmology/physics/astronomy. Id like to mention i have no doubt there life out there, some more advanced, some less so. some gone already, never to have shone their light upon the cosmos.

@Dave - thats true. ill live in hope - though 40LYs is still too far for a vacation.

Paul

More
16 years 3 months ago #58985 by Jovian79
Replied by Jovian79 on topic Re: Life on other planets
^^^ what the hell happened to my fonts up there! :?

Paul

More
16 years 3 months ago #59110 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re: Life on other planets
Hey Paul
Not sure what happened your fonts there Paul but they look impressive in my opinion! There was an interesting news release in 2003 on the oldest planet found in our MilkyWay galaxy; astoundingly it was estimated to be 13 billion years old and at a relatively nearby distance in cosmic terms of 5600 light years. OK it’s not Earth like, but it gives you some idea on how old planets may be and what may be inferred from this. Some interesting quotes from this discovery…
“The discovery suggests that the universe was quite efficient at making planets very early in its history, despite the fact that the "construction material" for planets was rare. The heavier elements needed to make at least the cores of planets weren't abundant until the first "star factories" began forging oxygen, silicon, nitrogen, etc., in their nuclear-fusion furnaces. This discovery implies that our galaxy is abundant in planets. And, where there are planets there could be life”.

“If this planet were inhabited it would be home for conceivably one of the oldest civilizations in our galaxy. Its life forms would have been far evolved by the time the very first primitive cells were assembling in Earth's primeval oceans. However, this planet is a gas giant like Jupiter, and so has no solid surface for life as we know it to arise. But if the planet has rocky moons, like the satellites of Jupiter, they might be abodes for life”.
hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2003/19/

Dave, I agree with your rationale to some degree for detection based on technological evolution in the way you described. However we must also keep in mind that even if civilizations exist that are below or well below our current technological achievements say a 100 light years distant from us we cannot rule out the possibility of a more highly advanced type III civilisation based on the Kardashev classification (we would be considered below type I, ~0.7) sending out very highly advanced intelligent self replicating and self sustaining robotic probes in positions throughout the galaxy where stable stars and associated planets may be monitored for such artificial EM leakage and deliberate signals, hypothetically we may then receive a reply from one of these probes 100 light years distant after a period of time of evaluation even if it is positioned only 2 light years distant from another civilization below our current level of technology.
Or perhaps the probe may alert its parent civilization to our presence immediately by some means that we do not currently understand in which we would be evaluated by “them” in whatever ever methods, protocols and means deemed necessary over a period of time! These are just my thoughts and opinions that may be of no value; I personally find them fascinating simply because of the possibilities and implications.

Clear skies
Mike

Kardashev classification: www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/K/Kardashevciv.html

Von Neumann Probes:
www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/V/vonNeumannprobe.html

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
16 years 3 months ago #59111 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Life on other planets

I fixed them

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 3 months ago #60339 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Life on other planets

Must've been the aliens :D

Even the simplest life so far discovered is immensly complex - chemically speaking (chemical complexity seems to be a pre-requisite for life). The only element available in the required quantites that can form the complexity of life is carbon, and all carbon based life requires water. This is not to say that all life has to be carbon based - but nature generally takes the easy way out - why struggle to make a silicon based lifeform when carbon works much more easily and where there is silicon you can be assured that carbon is already available in suitable quantities. If silicon life were possible I think we would have seen it here on our own planet already. The only silicon 'life' on this planet is man-made. Perhaps there is Silicon Life out there made by long dead carbon-based civilisations and it has advanced to being self aware and self perpetuating. Follow the water is a good modus, as it is relatively easily detected, and a pre-requisite for life "as we know it".

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds